Dremel or Chisel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel or Chisel?

So I want to have a neck pickup in the Stickoblaster. That's not up for debate. Just whether to use a Dremel or Chisel. Maybe a drill press for big routing

Dremel
    55.56%
    Chisel
    11.11%
    Other - please reply with your technique
    33.33%
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

You could hog the area out with drill press/forstner bit, then clean it up with a Dremel (as long as you have the router base attachment), otherwise, sharp chisels, steady hands, and a lot of patience!
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Hey Hippietim,
      If you have access to a router you can do it easily. I bought one cheap from Sears awhile back. Get a template, 3/8" router bit with bearing and double back tape that Stewmac sells. I've done a few guitars including one's that are completely finished painted and polished using the templates and they come out slick! The tape is very thin and strong at the same time.

Here's the procedure:
      1. Mark you pickup location. Use the template to help center the pickup where you want it
      2. Using a 1/2" brad point drill bit drill at least one corner of the rout down about 3/8"-1/2" (Typical pickup routs are 5/8" deep depending if you use a conventional ring or pickguard, or a direct mount pickup, which can be less). The drilling will help the router bit in cutting the rout.
      3. Attach double back tape to the template and cut out the open area of the template.
      4. Peel off the backing paper and line up the template with your marks and stick the template on. Press it firmly.
      5. Use the router in increments as you rout to the desired depth. (Note: You will have to use some shims under the template at first for the bearing to ride on). I use 1/4" thick plexiglass scraps. Stew mac has some good instructions on this. The shims can be taped to the template as well.
      5. Once you have the desired depth, slowly lift the template off the guitar. The tape is really strong.
      6. You have your pickup rout.

Here's more info!http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-1110.html
      As an example of templates http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Ro...Templates.html
      Last edited by Bengal65; 03-03-2007, 01:14 AM.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Chainsaw

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
          Chainsaw
          :ROTF: Chainsaw with a guide!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Nah, chainsaws are for brain surgeons.

I'd use a router, and if i didn't have one, i'd use a dremel. And if i didn't have that either, then i'd use a chisel, or a swiss army knife. No chisel or knife either, my bare hands. And if i didn't have my hands, well... putting a single coil in any guitar would be pretty pointless.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

As said before, forstner drill bits if you don't have a router.
              I prefer a nice sharp chisel to clean out the waste though.
              If you have access to a drill press, use it, much more accurate.

With the right tools, it's a 15 minute job.
              Last edited by 37fiat; 03-03-2007, 01:59 AM.

Comment

shotgun
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ice pick.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

toenail clipers
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Metal Force.

Comment

Dremel makes a router attachment:
                        http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/router.html

Theres one for the Craftsman rotary tool, too:
                        http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

I don't think I'd do a floyd route with one, but I bet it would do fine for pickup cavities.

Comment

tweezer

I didn't have a router.. drill press w/ chisels combo baby!

You should be able to get a router attachment for a dremel.
                          Or just use a drill press then you can dremel.

Comment

Hire a beaver to chew it out.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              Hire a beaver to chew it out.
                              She would have to have one nasty beaver to eat through wood!
                              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                              X