Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to replace the 4 wire conductor leads on a humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to replace the 4 wire conductor leads on a humbucker?

I'm going to redo all the electronics in my imported DR-3, which has duncan pickups. I've never actually taken a pickup out of a guitar, so I have no clue what the underside looks like. Is it possible to buy/make a new four wire conductor lead for my current pickups, or would it just be better to lengthen the ones I already have? The factory cut them too damn short, so every once in a while something comes undone and I have to resolder it back into place.

Also, the factory soldered the little green wires from the lead of each pickup to the pickup switcher, and blacks from the leads are soldered to the tone pot as a ground. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Re: Is it possible to replace the 4 wire conductor leads on a humbucker?

I've lengthened them before and it didn't seem to affect the performance any. You are right about the green wire, it is ground on duncans and jacksons. Dimarzio uses the black as ground and the green as hot.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

So should I switch the greens to grounding wires and switch the blacks to hots, or leave it as is? It seems to work alright as is. BTW, my pickups are duncan designs, not the regular Duncans. Don't know if that makes a difference.

What I'm basically doing is switch the wiring from 2 hums, 1 vol, 1 tone, and a 3-way to 2 hums, and 1 vol, and a 3-way. I already got a schematic from seymourduncan.com (this is what brought up my confusion about the green/hot and black/ground thingy [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ) . I think I'm gonna replace the vol pot and 3-way switcher as well.

Comment

Hell I don't know, now you've even got me confused!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X