Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DR Strings... coated in colors...anyone use these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR Strings... coated in colors...anyone use these?

We shall see, if they cure my "Black Oxide" residue problem. Sure looks
    cool with these ruby red strings on my HRF!

I have a set of Black Beauties on one of my projects and don't really notice a difference between them and the D'Addario's I use on everything else.........
    I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

I've neer used them on guitar, only bass, and they get dead sounding REAAAL quick if you ask me. They don't sound to bad out of the package though.

Comment

I used a set of their black strings on a guitar and they sounded the same as other "non-coated" strings I have used (GHS, etc). The biggest problem I had with them was that I used them on a black guitar with all black hardware. Problem was I COULDN'T SEE THE STRINGS while playing it. I would look down at the guitar and not see what I was playing! Made it tough. Maybe if I used a light colored set on it it would have been better. I actually thought of using hot pink strings on it, that would have looked interesting!
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
          We shall see, if they cure my "Black Oxide" residue problem. Sure looks
          cool with these ruby red strings on my HRF!
          Why not just use regular DR strings? They last quite a long time anyway.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A friend of mine has some sort of quasi-endorsement deal with DR, so I´ve tried them out on my guitars a few times. They were pretty OK, but I don´t like the look of colored strings whether they´re black, blue or hot pink.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Why not just use regular DR strings? They last quite a long time anyway.
              This is what Ernie Ball pink package slinky's do to my fretboard in 2 days!
              I wanted to see if the "Coated" strings would get rid of this problem!
              I get black dust on my unfinished maple HRF neck! It may be a
              combination of my sweat, acidic reaction, the strings... etc.. so im
              experimenting with whatever strings can help with this black dust
              residue! :-((

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                A friend of mine has some sort of quasi-endorsement deal with DR, so I´ve tried them out on my guitars a few times. They were pretty OK, but I don´t like the look of colored strings whether they´re black, blue or hot pink.

Ah...BLUE! Now that might be perfect on this HRF!!

Comment

I am a DR fanatic. I will not use anything else. I dont know about them being dead quick on bass.. they are the longest lasting strings to hold thier tone. I have the Extra lifes on all five of my basses.

I use the Extra life stings on my guitars that have TOMs, and the Dimebag strings on the Floyd guitars (hex core)

I dont use anything else personally
                  Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

I use DR strings and they truly are the longest tone-keeping lasting strings. I have gotten a set installed on my guitar and it lasts more than 3 months with regular playing. I use the pink packages, I think they're the High Beams 12's. I wanna try the colour packs just for the "cool" factor... any comparison between the High Beams and the colour packs? Like, which one lasts more and which one sounds more alive/bright?

Comment

I love DRs. A little more expensive than some others, but worth it.

Comment

I've got the colored strings on a couple guitars. I like them.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          This is what Ernie Ball pink package slinky's do to my fretboard in 2 days!
                          I wanted to see if the "Coated" strings would get rid of this problem!
                          I get black dust on my unfinished maple HRF neck! It may be a
                          combination of my sweat, acidic reaction, the strings... etc.. so im
                          experimenting with whatever strings can help with this black dust
                          residue! :-((

Have you tried the Elixier strings? Those might help.
                          "Don't mess with the Pudel of Death!"

Comment

I don't think coated strings will really help your dirty fingerboard problem. It's raw maple... it will get dirty. Just give it a good scrubbing with some lemon oil at your next string change.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys! I did do the 'dab' of Lemon oil, and wiped it
                              off very quickly, and i also used blue masking tape, to perfectly cover
                              the maple, and then used 0000 steel wool on the frets, which made them
                              gleam! Made sure there was no residue, wiped it down 2 more times, and
                              today im about to do a 3 hour test run. Wish me luck. I was going to
                              get some Elixers, although the GC was out of 9/42's so i will have to check
                              out Sam Ash for some. Im getting the feeling that $10.99 DR strings just
                              may be much higher quality, than my $5.25 EB slinkys? No more EB's for
                              me. If these are even 1/2 of the discoloration, im ordering about 5 sets
                              of DR "Blue"s! From certain angles you hardly notice any color, but then
                              when im playing its Candy Apple Red rediculous!

Comment

Working...
                              X