Is it possible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible...

To get the action on a setneck guitar with a TOM bridge as low as my SL-2 with my Floyd?

I just got a guitar with one and the action is way too high.

Also, I can't seem to keep it in tune. The tuners seem pretty good, is there anything that the nut could be doing to make them go out.

This thing is VERY alien to me , I have never had a guitar without a FLoyd so I have no clue.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Is it possible...

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone having problems with a ToM. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, you can get the action just as low, providing the guitar is built right. The neck needs a slight backwards tilt at the neck/body joint, about 2-5 degrees, to offset the height of the ToM. If yours doesn't, the neck might need to be shimmed.

First, make sure everything is set up correctly. Make sure the neck is straight, and that the bridge isn't just too high for no particular reason.

ToM's are easier to care for than Floyds. If you're having tuning problems, you probably do have sucky tuners. What kind of guitar is it?

Comment

If yours doesn't, the neck might need to be shimmed.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well that'll be fun on a set neck guitar... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Anyhoo, BM is right, though.
      Also, the strings could be binding on the nut if it's not grooved right. This seems to have more of a tendency to only affect the wound strings, though. Is it a problem with any particular string or all and are they going sharp or flat?

Comment

BM,

It's an Ibanez Iceman Ic400. I just got it and I just wanted to know if a setup would fix the action. It's just a bit high for me in the higher frets.

It stayed in tune pretty well at the house, but I used it at pratice tonight and it most of the strings just kept out some sharp sometimes flat. We played in an ice cold basement, would that affect the tuning maybe with the set neck?

Comment

the cold shouldnt effect it after it settles. you may want to take off the strings & see if the bridge posts wobble. my buddy's ibanez AXwatever wouldnt stay in tune with grovers. so i tried setting it up & notice the bridge post holes were not drill correctly. they were too large & the inserts wobbled. i half ass'd it with some glue & it was much better, tho its still a POS.
          his is also a set neck, & did needed to have the truss rod tightened the neck had alot of bow in it. they really come set up like crap, from wherever he got his.

Comment

Well this guitar wasn't set up crappy, I mean it doesn't have any fret buzz or anything, the action is just to high for me. I checked the bridge and it is fine.

The intonation is off though, I figured comeing from Florida into a cold environment which it is here now may have affected the setup a bit.

It seems like the e,b and G strings are the ones that go out of tune the most and not the wound ones. Does that rule out the nut or no? The tuners feel very smooth, but I don't know if that means they won't slip or not.

Oh and the neck is at an angle to the body, so I guess that the action won't be a problem getting it lower.

Just one more ? about the cold basement though, it set around for an hour or so down there before I used it, but I only used it for like a song or two. Does the guitar actually warm up a bit from your hand sliding up and down the neck or whatever? I know that sounds stupid, but I guess what I'm trying to say, is does it take a little while to adjust after you start playing it as opposed to just sitting there. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
            X