Pick Up Attached Directly to Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Attached Directly to Body

Just got a new Robin Medley. Very comfortable guitar. Light also.

However, it is going to need some tweaking.

Pick ups are about 1/4" maybe a little more away from the strings. And they are attached directly to the body of the guitar. I was thinking about putting some washers or maybe some wood underneath the pups between the body and the pup.

Anybody have experience doing this?

This thing came with the strings so low its ridiculous. Robbing tone. They also forgot to send me tools ! So I am waiting on the tools because the trem is a Kahler Steeler and nothing I have fits.

The neck completely straight from looking at it. Should I put a little bend in the neck or just raise the strings ?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Shouldn't there should be something like foam rubber under a direct-mounted pickup, so that as you back out on the mounting screws the foam expands & the pickup raises? I've only dealt with direct-mounted singles myself, though. When the old material isn't getting the pickup close enough, I use foam weather-stripping with a peel & stick backing. It comes in different thicknesses, and is easy to find at any hardware store. I cut a piece to fit the back of the pickup & stick it on. Works great. The foam that comes in the box with a new pickup works, too.

As far as the action, I'd probably just raise the bridge a litle bit first. Once the action is where you like it, see if you have any buzzing, especially in the lower frets. If so, then you may need more relief. I used to always just assume guitars need a certain amount of relief, but some of my C/Js set up great with straight necks, so I got away from that way of thinking & now I always go by how each guitar acts.

Comment

+1

I've never had problems adjusting pickup height on direct mounted pickups--works exactly the same as ring mounts.

Please post pics. I'd really like to see this one.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

That thing is a beauty! Here's a thread dedicated to all it's glory:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=robin+medley
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Thanks. Nice axe!
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

A piece of foam underneath the pickup should help raise it. This is pretty standard. Regarding the neck, I would put a slight rtelief there first before raising the bridge. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
              A piece of foam underneath the pickup should help raise it. This is pretty standard.
              Yeah, that's what I did to my Dinky HX when I put EMGs in it. The pickups needed to be raised, so I used the foam that came in the EMG box. It would be nice if most guitar manufacturers realized this and put something in the pickup route to help.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I use 1/4" thick high density PVC sheet and have made spacers of various thicknesses by sanding them. You can also use wood. Once I get the height I like, I cinch it down with the mounting screws The pickup is mounted ridgidly with no movement at all.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I like Bengal65's PVC or wood idea. That will raise up the pickup but still give a real solid contact to the body.

FYI, the USA Kahler Steeler would use SAE allen wrenches instead of metric. You should be able to get a set of SAE allens for a few $ at a hardware or auto parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                      FYI, the USA Kahler Steeler would use SAE allen wrenches instead of metric. You should be able to get a set of SAE allens for a few $ at a hardware or auto parts store.
                      Thanks. I may have some of those in the tool box at home.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                        I like Bengal65's PVC or wood idea. That will raise up the pickup but still give a real solid contact to the body.

That does sound like a good idea, but pretty painstaking to get the exact right height. Has anyone ever done a good test to find out if there really is any measurable effect from direct-mounting? Plenty of anecdotes & opinions out there, but I'd like to see data. Someone on another forum was planning on doing a thorough test using the exact same guitar & pickup with direct & then ring mount, and doing some kind of frequency analysis. I don't think he's gotten around to it, though. It would be interesting to see this done.
                        Last edited by dg; 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I use this....Works great.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...ng_Tubing.html

I'm pretty sure Allparts sells it too.

Comment

Working...
                          X