SD pickup - (JN-J)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD pickup - (JN-J)

Does anyone know what model the s.duncan JN pickup is? It came in my 1981 pre-pro but I cannot confirm that this is/was the original pickup but I'm thinking it probably was.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Just found this on the duncan website

JN SH-2n Jazz Model, neck
    www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Yup. Older Duncan hums had the model's initial on the sticker.

JN=Jazz (always Neck)
      DD=Duncan Distortion
      DC=Duncan Custom
      AH=Alan Holdsworth
      JB=JB

Singles usually just had a number and a letter. The old Classic Stack bridge was 1B.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And the J at the end is the last name initial of the person who wound it. Maricella Juarez (Seymour's right-hand Custom Shop lady).
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup. She wound my 3 Custom Shop pickups.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I have a JB-J that I love. I need to find another.

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Yeah, she seems to put some magic in the pups she winds.

Comment

I always liked the DDJs I've had over the DDLs. I bought a couple of older Distortions from Peedenmark a while back. I just now opened the envelope and they're both DDJs
                Last edited by Newc; 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I just traded a Gibson BB Pro for a Duncan Pearly Gates chrome covered neck pup, also wound by her. I'm dying to put it in something, but I've got no extra guitars floating around at the moment.
                  I'm pretty happy with the '59 set in my new Mark Morton model, so I think they'll stay. I should pull them out and see if they're also wound by MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

JN=Jazz (always Neck)
                    DD=Duncan Distortion
                    DC=Duncan Custom
                    AH=Alan Holdsworth
                    JB=JB

Singles usually just had a number and a letter. The old Classic Stack bridge was 1B.
                    Actually, Matt, there is a Jazz for the bridge. But that's for old guys who like...well...jazz and big fat hollow body guitars!
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Ok, this pickup is a neck pickup. Here are the specs :

Neck : 7.72 k
                      Bridge : 7.9 k
                      Neck : 8 KHz
                      Bridge : 7 KHz

So the neck pickup is not a hot as the bridge. Not sure what the Khz means.Is it ok to put a neck pickup in the bridge position? I guess if I like the tone, that all that matters right?

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I think the kHz measurements are the resonant peak for the pickup. I've never been able to figure much out with that number, but their EQ guidelines are usually pretty helpful. You can put a neck pickup in the bridge. They're lower output since there is way more amplitude to the string vibration at the neck position, but you may like the sound in the bridge. Just depends on your tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                          Actually, Matt, there is a Jazz for the bridge. But that's for old guys who like...well...jazz and big fat hollow body guitars!
                          There's plenty of guys on the Duncan forum who use the Jazz bridge pup in the neck (as well as the bridge, of course) for heavier stuff. And contrary to popular belief, the Jazz is a pretty bright and clear pup, one of my favorites for use in the neck. You can use either version in the bridge or neck, whatever works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

JN=Jazz (always Neck)
                            DD=Duncan Distortion
                            DC=Duncan Custom
                            AH=Alan Holdsworth
                            JB=JB
                            I always thought JB = Jeff Beck..? Is it Jazz Bridge then?
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Working...
                            X