Cleaning up a Floyd Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up a Floyd Type

I'm after picking up a Model 6 with a JT-6 trem in it. This guitar is about 18/19 years going so some stuff on it is not in the best shape. It plays fine but I want to clean it up. The bridge will end up being locked but I want it looking good and there is some rust on it.
    Whats the best way to go about this? I'll take out the bridge and loosen and take off all the parts. Spray it in WD-40? How do I go about getting some of the rust off?
    I know I can get an OFR and pop it in without too much trouble but that would cost almost as much as the guitar!!! Would one of those cheaper Ping bridges fit ok? I'm really just looking ahead here with talk of a new bridge but I said I'd ask while I'm talking about it.
    Any tips for the cleaning of the bridge?

Miracle automotive oil and a toothbrush. Remove it, take it apart carefully and scrub each peice and towel dry. It will look great when done.

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Any CLP (cleaner,lube and protector) works great. I use a product called Break Free its an automatic firearms cleaner and it gets the gunk and filth off metal the best of any product so far.It leaves a protectant film on the metal so it will not coninue to rust.
      WD 40 does conatin a small of water if you do use it put some kind of rust inhibitor or dry lube after you clean it.WD 40 tends not to be a good lube but is a fine penetraing oil to free up rusted parts.
      Last edited by straycat; 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Check this site

http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/floydtips.htm
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

A little WD40 on a toothbrush has always worked for me.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X