Twisted neck - fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted neck - fixable?

Posted this in reply to another thread, but i can't find it.....

I have this old KE3 neck that i scrapped a few years ago. It's been in the shed the whole winter. Lately i tried to fix it & put new frets on it but the fretboard is "twisted" .... if you hold the nut horizontal, the upper fretboard area is at a good 10 degree angle from horizontal. ie, string action would be way high on the lower strings above the 15th fret or so. Something like this:

(i exaggerated the deformation in the sketch for illustration purposes) Any way to fix that?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

I've never have attemped one myself. On a bolt on I usually scrap them. I've heard of some luthiers using a steam press after the finish has been stripped to bare wood. The neck is clamped in a fixture and steam is introduced through holes. Other methods are steaming the neck, then clamping in a special fixture. Other than that I don't know what else to suggest, but contact a good luthier.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Steam.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i think i would be cheaper to find another neck for it, unless you ambitious and want to learn then................... put that bitch in a jig and have your way with, similar to that of an Asian hooker
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I think if you did get it back in shape, it would start to twist again over time but each neck/wood is different so who knows.

Comment

I had a soloist with that problem, Jackson took off the frets and re-planed the neck, came out great.
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
              I had a soloist with that problem, Jackson took off the frets and re-planed the neck, came out great.
              Just a thought! That would work great if the twist were not severe. When planing the fretboard on a severly twisted neck you could end up with one side of the board thinner than the other. It would most likely be a cosmetic issue though.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That and the fret slots might not be deep enough. This is a problem if the neck has bindings and you don't have the same kind of binding to replace it after taking it off.

Luthier's Merchantile International (lmii.com) CAN'T SHIP CELLULOID BINDINGS TO CANADA ANYMORE!!!!!!!! http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...lastic+Binding ±@#¢±%±£¤¢± If i knew this before, i woulda stockpiled on ivoroid binding strips (part# PBII on that page)!!!!!
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

If steam or high heat & humidity with clamping to a flat level surface doesn't do it (which can be a many days process) then you have to resign to removing the freboard and replaning the neck surface level again.

Comment

New neck or steam
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

i had a neck twist on a charvel years ago. Bob Willcutt at Willcuttguitars said it's pretty common with Charvels. He fixed it for $100+

Comment

Working...
                      X