Stress cracks...how to repair them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress cracks...how to repair them?

I recently got a Charvel Model 5 off Ebay, and while it's a great playing guitar, there's a few little stress cracks. One on the cutaway side down where the neck meets the body, and then 2 on either side of the locking nut. Is there a way to repair them, aside from sanding down the whole guitar and re-clearcoating it? I figured somebody out there in JCF Land would know some way of maybe filling/spot sanding it. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Stress cracks...how to repair them?

The simplest thing to do with finish cracks is use a thin cyanoacrylate glue to fill the cracks, then wetsand with 1500 wet/dry and polish it. You could also try a laquer based touch-up clear but it doesn't seem to work well with poly finishes because it doesn't penetrate the crack or adhere to the poly very well.
    Your best bet is to leave it alone and call it Patina! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the tip MM! Will the cyanoacrylate glue dry clear, or will it "clear up" after sanding/polishing?

Comment

Leave them. They are most likely finish cracks and you should consider them beauty marks.

Comment

John's advice is the best but if you insist on touching them up, yes the cyano dries clear and will polish up fine.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, I really do want to try to touch them up. The rest of the guitar is in like new condition, so they really stand out. Plus it's good to know how to deal with them if I run into any issues like this in the future. I'll give the cyano a shot. Thanks MM! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X