Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE !...EVIL CONTACT CLEANER!!

Just figured I'd post this FYI here.

Don't let this happen to your beloved finish!
    When spraying contact cleaner inside pots and switches inside your guitar...take great care not to have excess run out of the control cavity, and quickly wipe up any overspray, or drips, or THIS can happen to your finish!

(Disregard the PU cavity fill in)

Re: BEWARE !...EVIL CONTACT CLEANER!!

(Newc looks suspiciously at his two brand new cans of Radio Shack contact/control cleaner)

Ummmmmm....what brand you got there, chum? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dude, that totally blows [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well Radio Shack Contact cleaner is one that I used...I had another also...but I believe it WAS in fact, the Radio Shack one that did this damage.
      I noticed an air pocket under the finish and I touched it, and whhhoomp!....there it went!
      A quote for appx $450 by GMW to refinish it in Eerie dess later....here she is.

Heartbreaking...it'nt it? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That totally blows! I know the cleaner-type stuff isn't "good" for the top, but I didn't think it'd dissolve the freakin finish! Thanks for the heads up.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Didn't quite dissolve it...what happened, is it seeped thru the control holes/routes, and down under the clearcoat, where it "lifted" the finish off the base. The end result is large "chips" of clearcoat just "peeling off".

It's ugly!

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I think you've just stumbled upon how they do the new Silver Swirl. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K Sorry to hear that, man. That really sucks!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well out of all of this...it's revealed the secret behind the Eerie Dess paintjob!
              GLOSS black...scuffed out, and swirled with silver and black mixed paint. Then the multi-colored clearcoats over.

All the "Dess" finishes are done this way. Marblizer is done the same way...except stippled with a sponge, and one color over.

Still sux...Don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet now. I may go solid color...up in the air. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

was that tuner cleaner? or contact cleaner? Does it have mineral oil or alcohol?

Comment

I would guess regular contact cleaner is what Ken used. I use the Tuner Contact cleaner from Radio Shack and never had a problem with it.......a tip passed on by Doc Dryer. I used it on my EDS RR and that never happened.-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

You should use tuner cleaner..as it has oil(s). It won't dry out the oil in the pot which, if you use a cleaner, will do. That causes the pots to dry out and they can end up shot. I just use compressed air and try to work the oil in the pot around before I do anything else. That usually clears up any electronic problem/scratchiness from just sitting in one position after a long time.

Contact cleaner has alcohol, basically acting as paint thinner.

Sorry to hear of your finish..that does blow.

Comment

Just tell everybody it's that new graphic, Cancer! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
                        was that tuner cleaner? or contact cleaner? Does it have mineral oil or alcohol?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner....(with the oil)...it just seemed to have a really bad reaction to the clearcoat!...It did nothing to the base underneath...and it didn't even leave an oily film. It just caused the clearcoat to seperate from the base coat. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                          Just tell everybody it's that new graphic, Cancer! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or...Eerie Dess Malaise...new finish for 2004! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

wow, that is suprising..but thanks for the FYI/passing it on. It's a good tidbit to know just in case.

Comment

It's likely you already had a chip or a ding that allowed the cleaner to get 'under' the finish. I have an ED soloist that's getting refinished, and it had some spots where the clearcoat was VERY thin and easily lifted/damaged. Mine was from '89 or '90, maybe that was a bad year for ED finishes?

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X