Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intonation on C tuning - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation on C tuning - what am I doing wrong?

Okay, I know this topic was discussed zillion times in past few years. But it is still bothering me ...

I'm into this experimenting stuff for few years now and I keep my guitars tuned differently for the sake of sophistication.

For quite some time now I was and still am looking for a decend setup on my American Strat. I have two-point (modern-like) Strat tremolo bridge, blocked and pulled back with four springs so it sits just the way I like it. It's tuned to normal C (not drop). I'm getting every string right except for lower C.
    I've tried two different gauges and it's still too sharp. I've tried to move the saddle away to get it flattened, but I ran out of space.
    Truss is adjusted eye-straight, which I assume should be right. Or not? Can that be the catch? Should I try the action?

The gauge for lower C is 56 right now, but I've used 60 also but it's no good.

Thanks!

The scale is not long enough buy a baritone guitar .

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
      The scale is not long enough buy a baritone guitar .
      +1 Some guitars just can't take the lower tuning, the saddles don't have the range for it. You can try lowering your action to help the intonation a little bit. You can also try removing the spring at the end of the saddle to help give you a tiny bit more room to move back. Other than that, you'll have to tune up higher.
      I've got the same problem on my Fender Double Fat Strat hardtail... it's only tuned to Eb, but the lowest string is still a tiny bit sharp, and the saddle is back all the way.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
      X