I wire something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wire something wrong?

A little awhile I went ahead and switched my DK2Ts wiring for 2 Volumes/3 way switch. Well when I rewired this, I noticed my bridge pickup (the stock JB) has very little output. I first though maybe I damaged the pot, so I put a new pot in, but it didnt help. Then I thought maybe it was out of phase some how, so I switched the black and green wires around. Still the same. Then I tried wiring it as a single conductor humbucker, but still no luck. I'm at a loss as for what it could be. Could it be the wiring extensions I did werent very good?

The out-of-phase issue would be noticed when you have two pickups playing at the same time. Selecting only the bridge pickup and swapping the black & green wires back and forth wouldn't change your output any.

The DK2T came with volume and tone. You mention changing that to 2 volume. Most guitars use 500k pots for volume and 250k pots for tone. Did you change out the tone pot to a 500k?

Also, not sure what you mean by "tried wiring it as a single conductor hum...".

On your JB, are the red & white wires still soldered together and taped to the wiring sleeve?

What might help is if you could post a closeup picture of your current wiring to see if your problem is related to trying to wire up the vol/tone as vol/vol.

Comment

Did you wire everything like this:
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/support.../2h_2v_3w.html

Comment

I wired it like the picture. When I said I tried to wire it like a single conductor, I soldered the ground to the pot, and the green to where the black would go and left the black off. As for what it camew stock with, a 500k for the tone too. There is a 500k in there for both volumes. The red & white wires are soldered together.

Comment

I had that happen to me once and I couldn't find it. I pulled everything out, rewired it, and the problem went away. It was probably a bad solder connection. You might want to undo the connections one at a time and redo them to see if it goes away. Mine had a slight distortion or crackle to it as well until I redid it.

Comment

I should mention this is bridge only, the neck works a-ok. IVe tried rewiring everything related to the bridge, and would rather not touch the stuff on the neck pickup if possible. Pickup switches cant be damaged can they? I noticed the base of the one (connector, contact, what ever the hell you call what you solder the wires to) was burnt looking. Could this be the source of my problems?

Comment

I recall having the same problem with my X2n. I had to switch the wires around like you mentioned above. I can't remember exactly but I just started to try differnet combinations of wiring options until I found the one that worked. My sound sucked in P1/P2 but my middle/bridge positions were ok.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Thanks. Guess I'll just play around with it then and see what happens

Comment

I solved this after taking a close look at my red and white wires, and notices the white one had broken off, though the jacket was still holding it on, making it appear intact. A litte solder joint and it was back in buiness. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Cool. I love it when a problem is solved.

joe...
                    www.godwentpunk.com
                    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                      X