Sharpening Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening Strings

Hey, I just played a gig, and I noticed that throughout it my strings started to get slightly sharp. Not noticeable much, but still sharp.
    The trem is blocked each side with a few layers of wood. Strings quite new, and the nut was locked. What would cause them to go sharp, and what can be done to help it?
    thanks
    john

Re: Sharpening Strings

I don't think that's possible with a new set of strings,a "fixed" bridge, and a locking nut. If you failed to stretch the strings when you put them on it would be going flat. Are you sure the bridge is blocked good and tight both ways? My guess would be the bridge is moving around.
    I think someone here posted about having a bad set of strings cause that but......hmmmmmmm.

edit: well, one possible case would be if you were playing outside at night because the strings can go sharp as the ambient temp falls. Maybe grasping at straws there but at least an idea.

[ December 05, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe with a temperature change it's happening. Maybe playing under the hotter stage lights it's causing it to go out of whack a little. I've heard of that happening.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        Yeah, I'm thinking maybe with a temperature change it's happening. Maybe playing under the hotter stage lights it's causing it to go out of whack a little. I've heard of that happening.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wouldn't they go flat as they warmed up and expanded?
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I would think stage lights would make the strings expand and go flat? Wouldn't it have to be a drop in temp for them to go sharp?

disclaimer: I actually have no idea what I'm talking about and in no way want to insult Mr. Joe Tamborra(sp?). Thank you.

Comment

Good point. No insult taken. And you did spell the name right. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I just thought I remembered reading someone mention something about that one time on here, but maybe they were talking about flat instead of sharp. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If they all went sharp then either your bridge moved or your neck swelled (humidity?). If only a few strings got sharp (especially the G, B and E strings then I would suspect it is caused by the strings binding up in the nut. Bending a fresh string doesn't always result in it going flat. I experience new strings going sharp all the time until they are fully stretched. It has something to do with the tension and quick release when doing heavy bending or double stops.

Comment

This is far fetched, but it has happened to me on a cheap guitar. Check the nut. I had one come unglued, and then "roll" under the strings slightly causing them to go sharp because of the extra surface area on the nut.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

What type of wood are you using to block the trem? If it's a soft wood like pine, the trem's probably diggin in or the wood is compressing.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

right, thanks everyone for the replies, v helpful, but newc's seems like the most plausible to me. I am using a quite soft wood, probably pine i dont realy know haha, and whats more its in layers (ie i took pieces of the wood that are about 4mm each and put them in one after the other. I think I should find a solid bit of hard wood that is the equivalent size. What sort of wood would I use?
                    cheers

Comment

Maple or Oak would be easy to find at the store. I bought a length of oak trim and thats what I use.

Comment

Working...
                      X