J-80C compares to what Duncan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-80C compares to what Duncan?

I'm wondering what Duncan (or DiMarzio) pickup the J-80C most closely resembles. I'm starting to love the EQ of this thing, and the crazy harmonics that come out of it.

DiMarzio...Maybe the old Super Distortion

It's a distortion PU .

Just got one attached to my '93 Dinky Rev, which I'm rebuilding,
    can hardly wait to hear the the j80 and the j85! Great 90's PUPS
    both of them.

Cheers!

Son Of Spy
    1976 Gibson Mk53
    1988 Charvel Model 3
    1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

I'd say the J80C is somewhere in between a JB and Distortion. Maybe a little closer to the JB end of that spectrum. Definitely my favorite of the Jackson pickups.

And, oh BTW, it's an 80s pickup. Not 90s. I swapped out the J50 for a J80C shortly after receiving my Soloist in '86.

Comment

Makes sense...the 90C on my Model 3 is from '88.

Cheers!

Son Of Spy
        1976 Gibson Mk53
        1988 Charvel Model 3
        1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

I agree with sheddermon , more JB \ Custom than distortion . I have a Distortion in one AT and a J80C in the other both with floyds and the distortion has more bass and less mids and highs than the J80C . It much more JB like in the mid and highs than the TB6 . But still has more bass the the JB .That is why I say it is between the JB and TB5 .
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Thanks guys, these are exactly the answers I needed. The Distortion has been my favourite pup so far, but the J-80C has really grown on me lately. Its output is a little low for my taste (when it comes to lead work), but that's nothing a booster pedal won't fix. Other than that, the voicing and the mad harmonics are great.

Sounds like it's time for me to try out the JB and the Custom and see how I like them.
            Thanks again guys!

Comment

I prefer the tone shaping of the Custom, as it's a more "open voiced" kind of pickup IMHO. But the JB admittedly has better harmonics. They're both cool. I think the JB sometimes gets a bad rep just because it's so common across all models - folks tend to take it for granted.

Comment

Working...
              X