Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring question (including a JE-1200 preamp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question (including a JE-1200 preamp)

Hi all,

Would there be anybody in here who knows what potentiometer I should use for my own building project, which will have the Jackson JE-1200 mid-boost preamp in it?
    The hot signal goes into the preamp, which is modified such that the mid-boost is always off and the output is at maximum. As of now, the output signal from the preamp should go via a potentiometer to control the volume, and then directly to the output jack. (I never use the tone-knob anyway)
    My question is what resistance this potentiometer should have?
    Without the preamp I've had a 500 K potentiometer (which has to be a push-pull pot, to turn off and on the Sustainiac system I also built into the guitar) which worked great. However, I think from looking at the preamp cicruit, that the potentiometer originally used for controlling the volume was a 50 K pot, and essentially working the same way as having it after the preamp.
    How would it work if I used the 500 K pot after the preamp anyway?
    Would only the upper tenth of the pot-scale be active? (Essentially as an on-off toggle), or what would happen? And would this have any impact on the sound?
    If I need a 50 K pot, then does anybody know where I can get a 50 K push-pull pot via the internet? (I live in Denmark, and dont know where to get such things here..)?

Thanks a lot!

-Mac Gaunaa

Re: Wiring question (including a JE-1200 preamp)

...And why is it that different potentiometer should be used with and without preamps? (ETC using an ordinary PU and a PU with a built in-preamp as the EMG 81)?
    ?

(Thanks again)

-Mac Gaunaa

Comment

Re: Wiring question (including a JE-1200 preamp)

You can really use any value you want, although Jackson always used the 50 K ohm pot with that circuit. It's the circuit, not the pickups, that needs a certain pot. EMG's will wire right into any Jackson circuit without the need for 25 K ohm pots.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
      X