elixer strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elixer strings

what do you guys think about these? do they really work?

i got my new carvin dc400 on monday and it came set up with elixer nanowebs. being my first time using a floyd rose trem, i managed to break the e, b, and d strings. when i tried to replace the strings with d'addarios of the same guage the bridge tilted back significantly once tuned. i suppose that elixers have higher tensions than regular strings with of the same guage.

i guess my options are to either stay with elixers at $15 per pack or resetup my guitar for regular stings...

Re: elixer strings

I likes 'em ;-)

Comment

I love your DC400. I think it is the finest neck thru guitar currently available from anybody.
      Regarding your Elixers.... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

i guess i'll change back to regular strings... elixer only puts the coating on the wound strings anyways so it's a real ripoff

Comment

elixer only puts the coating on the wound strings anyways so it's a real ripoff
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

When I bought my Carvin SC90, I kept the Elixirs on for a few months, thought they were pretty good, though a little bright sounding. The guitar is swamp ash with a maple neck and C22 pups, so it didn't really need to be any brighter. I've been a GHS Boomers fan for years anyway, so I use them on it now, or Carvin's strings (Boomers in just Carvin packaging, and a cheaper price). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't know about their tension, since it's got the TOM/stoptail, but I dropped the tuning to a half-step a few days after getting the guitar, and I still keep it in Eb with the Boomers (maybe do standard or Drop D or Drop Db once in awhile) and I've never needed even a truss rod adjustment. Carvins rock!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by chemical_ali:
              i guess i'll change back to regular strings... elixer only puts the coating on the wound strings anyways so it's a real ripoff
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I did NOT know that. Thanks! It's always the unwound strings for me that are always getting tarnished and crusty first, anyways, so I'm sticking with cheap strings!

Comment

Yeah, even if you look at the wrappers for the strings, the unwound strings say "Plain Steel Guitar Strings". Only the wound strings boast the "Elixir Nano, or Poly-web coating".

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Damn, I'm surprised they're still in business! But, people will do anything for a gimmick like that! We know better than that! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

You need to learn how to set up a Floyd properly. Changing strings, even to different gauges, should only take 10 minutes or so and leave you with a level trem. Check this link and follow the instruction there.

http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/Pag...loyd_setup.htm

Comment

i wish i had seen that guide earlier. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] i spent about an hour setting up the new strings by trial and error. i'll use that wedge method from now on! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I was just cruising the D'Addario site to see what the deal was with their EXP coated strings. I think it's the same case as the Elixir strings. Just the wound strings are coated. Damn. What a ripoff.

Comment

Well i think the point is that the big strings don't get crap stuck in between the grooves. The bottom 3 don't have grooves. Either way, the wound strings get tarnished as well after a while. But still, i get a good 6 or 7 months out of elixirs before they lose any of their sound quality and start going dead.

Elixir bass on the other hand &gt;.o ya that's definately a rip. All the strings are coated ya, but it still doesn't help. 70 bux for strings? [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

for real. you might as well be buying a set of upright bass strings! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

Why don't you make like a tree, and get the fuck out! [/QB]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey! why are you allowed to say the F word in your signature but i am not?

Comment

Working...
                              X