EMG 81 vs 85 in bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81 vs 85 in bridge

Any thoughts? A number of guitars have 81 installed in bridge position. Anyone trying to swap a 81 with 85?

A lot of people here like the 85 in the bridge. I havent tried it, but I've toyed around with idea. I think its toejam whos a fan of 81 neck/85 bridge

Comment

Yep, 85 in the bridge is my favorite, along with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. The 85 is warmer, has actually a tiny bit more output than an 81. I feel the 81 can be a little too bright in the bridge sometimes. I prefer warmer sounding bridge pups with brighter neck pups, so it works great for me.
      Jon Donais from Shadows Fall, as well as one (maybe both) guitar players from Killswitch Engage also use the 85 as their bridge pup.

It's real easy to swap them around since they've got the quick-connect cables, so change them around and see what sounds best to you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toejam will be here any minute! He swears by the 85 in the bridge position. I'm going to try that in one of my RR1's.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Damn, we must have been reading each other minds! 2 minutes difference in posting

Good idea Toejam. I'm going to try that switching around procedure!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
            Damn, we must have been reading each other minds! 2 minutes difference in posting

Good idea Toejam. I'm going to try that switching around procedure!
            Do it! If you don't like it as much, it's easy to switch them back around.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

85 is superior in all respects. 81 sound like poo-poo.

Comment

I have an 81 in my bridge and with a 15 band EQ it is warm enough to burn your tushy.

Matt

Comment

81 in the bridge hands down... Ive had both and switched back and fourth many times... to my ears, the 81 is alot clearer, not as chunky. I love em, especially with maple boards!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

as a bridge pup the"
                    85 sounds more Rock N' Roll
                    81 sounds more Heavy Metal

as a neck pup:
                    i only like the 81 in the neck. 85 is just too hairy for me.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the brightness of the 81!! I love my sound real bright anyway!!
                      I love admins!

Comment

I prefer the 85 bridge / 81 neck running on 18v.
                        I think the 81 in the bridge sounds to harsh and sterile.
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          It's real easy to swap them around since they've got the quick-connect cables, so change them around and see what sounds best to you.

After installing an 81 (bridge) 85 (neck) set in one of my guitars, I did the swap a few months later. I have to say there didn't seem to be much of a difference in the bridge position, but the 81 sounds GREAT in the neck position.

Comment

i like the 81 in the bridge. the 85 seemed too muddy and too scooped. although people will say "the 85 has more mids!!!" but it doesnt have them in the right places to be a bridge pickup IMO. the 81 has that tight bass, and lots of upper mids and highs that i like. really crunchy, and you can always add bass to make it thump more!
                            My metal band Lucian Scott
                            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                            Available Now!
                            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

An 81 came in my Death Angel, which is a single hum axe. Sounds better than any guitar I've ever owned. Then I decided to put EMG's into my KV2. A lot of guys here like the 85 in the bridge so I tried that. Personally, I didn't really care for the 85 in the bridge of THAT guitar...not to say it wouldn't work in one of my other axe's. So I swapped those around...a little better. Now I'm thinking maybe 81/81 in the KV2...and try an 85 in the bridge of one of my other guitars....
                              Hear the universe scream
                              Bleeding from black holes
                              Whom horns careless
                              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                              X