Grounding issue...I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding issue...I think

When I touch my volume knob on my guitar, some of the buzzing I hear goes away. I tried to wiggle things inside but that didn't help. I tried jumping a wire to other parts of the guitar to see if I could duplicate what happens when I touch my volume knob without any success as well. Can anyone think of what might be causing this.

thanks!

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

This "grounding" should also happen when you touch the strings, bridge, or just about any metal part of it. What kind of bridge does that guitar have? There should be a ground wire that goes from the controls to some part of the bridge or saddles (usually at the spring claw if you have a trem/floyd/shaller/etc.)
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I checked the spring claw wire and it looked good. Just for measure, I touched a new wire from the claw to the ground on my pot but that did not help.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Is that wire (the one that goes to the spring claw) connected to the back of one (or several) of the potentiometers? And of course the ground of the output jack -- that's the most important.

Seems like your volume pot is grounded to the output jack, so just make sure the other ground wires are connected to it (soldered to the back of the potentiometer)
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Everything is grounded to the back of my volume pot...claw/input jack/pickups.

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

EMGs?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My Model 3 used to do this...I switched the knobs to speed knobs
              and cleaned all the cable ends and grounds on the the 1/4" sockets.

So maybe the ground on the output jack is not making
              good contact with the amp?

Son Of Spy
              1976 Gibson Mk53
              1988 Charvel Model 3
              1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

speed knobs are for Gibbys.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was having issues with my input jack. I'll take things apart again to see if there is something else (grounding wise) still going on that I missed.

thanks!

joe...
                  www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Ok, took my guitar into a "pro" who said that my guitar does not have a grounding issue. He said if I did, the guitar hum would get louder not quieter. Can this be true?

joe...
                    www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Sounds pretty normal to me.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X