Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between the various Floyd Rose versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between the various Floyd Rose versions?

To keep this simple, I will restrict my query to actual Floyd Rose products (as opposed to extending it to licensed copies). The Jackson Custom Shop form lists these varieties of Floyd Rose bridges to choose from:

Floyd Rose Pro - $180
    Floyd Rose - $120
    Original Floyd Rose - $120
    Floyd II - $120

I think I have also heard of a Lo Pro or Low Profile Floyd Rose (but maybe I'm thinking of the Ibanez copy).

Anyway, can anyone tell me the difference between these bridges, along with your opinions as to their relative merits? (Pics would be fantastic). Oddly, I can't find any info about this at the Jackson web site or the Floyd Rose web site. (Is the Original Floyd Rose the VERY first style without fine tuners on the bridge?)

In fact, that leads me to another thought. I wish Jackson would follow the lead of web sites like Dell's and provide "Help Me Choose" links for the various Custom Shop options, leading to more info and pictures of them.

I know, you're supposed to get more info through your dealer, but in my town, the dealers unfortunately don't know any more about this than I do.

Thanks!

Re: What\'s the difference between the various Floyd Rose versions?

the regular floyd rose is the best one imho. the pro is like the ibanez edge where the fine tuners are tilted away from your palm, and the locking part is on top with small screws, not the long ones sticking out of the normal floyd.

the floyd 2 is a shaller in disquise, since shaller makes them anyways. It has inserted pivot points that are hardened where the normal floyd the whole base is hardened. I personally do not like shallers or floyd 2's. I held a pro once, and it felt cheap. I stick with the real deal, and never have a problem. I've had a shaller once on a guitar i got and the dolt before me stripped out the threads for the intonation and then he superglued the saddle in place, a real floyd this will not happen.

i've heard they have improved the shallers by adding in a plate underneath the saddles that is hardened, as the pot metal they are made out of will strip over time on the old ones.

they dont make a floyd without fine tuners anymore, only real old ones. you can go to ap-international.com, they are the us distributors for floyds, for more info. also look around on some of the old Kramer sites for floyd details.

from my experience..

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the great info! I can't access ap-international.com (my browser gets redirected to ebay when I type that address in), but the info you provided is excellent and very helpful. THANKS!

Comment

I don't know why they've got Floyd Rose and Original Floyd Rose both listed... they're the same exact thing.
        And the first version of the Floyd II was actually a single-locking trem (the ball end of the strings didn't need to be cut off, you could only lock the string at the nut). If you ever run across a guitar with one of those, either avoid it or replace it a double-locking trem.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

all the floyds are made by schaller. the ones that say FLOYD ROSE on the bridge plate(low E side) are all authenic. the schaller version is also real good,it gets a slightly warmer tone then the others.
          it says schaller where it normally has floyd rose stamped. here is everthing you will ever need to know about the FLOYD! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=floyd+rose+trem&page=1&offset= 0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3Breque stId%3De957f1e44f5ce573%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D 2%26amp%3BuserQuery%3Dfloyd%2Brose%2Btrem%26amp%3B clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.vintagekra mer.com%252Fparts6.htm%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPIndex&r emove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vintagekramer.com%2Fpar ts6.htm

Comment

Yes, good point... Schaller does make the Original Floyd models in the same factory anyway, but their own stamped Schaller version is also a licensed version and not quite as good as the Original Floyd. Though, some people do prefer the Schaller over the Original.

Comment

Use http://tinyurl.com for long links. it won't screw up the forum.

Comment

Great article. That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                  Use http://tinyurl.com for long links. it won't screw up the forum.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, that rules!!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I made a tiny url from Randyvanmalmsteen's. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://tinyurl.com/ydce

Comment

I used an Original Floyd Rose on two of my guitars for a long time. Then after playing the Ibanez LoPro Edge copy version, I decided to switch one of my old guitars with the OFR to a Floyd Rose PRO. I really like the low profile of it. It is much more comfortable with my picking hand. It was a problem to retrofit. There is much more space needed underneath the trem for free movement, dives or pull ups. So I had to use a hand rotary tool to carve out the space needed. In the process, since I was carving up my guitar anyway, I installed studs and bushings vs. the wood screw type studs that were in it with the OFR. It's a great trem. Stays in tune just as well, feels better too. Although for those who enjoy "flutter" type effects, the OFR is slightly better in that area.

Comment

here try this url: http://www.apintl.com/
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

I have to say I like the old non fine tuner floyds as well as the fine tuner models.A little bit of work getting dialed in but work just fine.The reason I like them is there is nothing to get in the way when palm muting.Industrial strength trem for sure. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's a vote for the Schaller trem. I like original Floyds, as well, but I've had Schallers on almost every Jackson/Charvel I've owned in the last few years, and I've found that they sound great and stay in tune wonderfully.

Comment

As they say on MaxEx: "Sweet Mullet!" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Is that Joe Dirt????? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X