Really, REALLY strange G string sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really, REALLY strange G string sound

I'm usually the master of weird noise elimination. I've had enough crappy guitars in my hands to know what's wrong just by the sound, but this one is fucking with my head something fierce.

The problem is on the G string. When played, it rattles by the nut. I figured it was some wear in the nut or the clamp so I took the clamp off to check, but neither clamp nor nut show abnormal amounts of wear. Nothing that would cause a buzz.

Now comes the weird part.

When I put the the lock clamp back on I fingertightened it and hit the string. I got no noise. I tightened it a little bit. I got no noise. I tightened it a little bit more, to where I normally tighten it to... and the noise pops up! WTF?

The noise, which is the same sound as a string hitting a high fret, only appears when I tighten the locknut clamp down to a certain point. I can actually play the open G string and turn the noise on and off by tightening and loosening the clamp. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It only happens on the open G string, and even then I jut don't tighten the clamp as much and it goes away, but it's still bugging the hell out of me. I'd like some theories on wtf is up with my guitar. Maybe the nut's pissed because it thinks I clamp it too tight. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Really, REALLY strange G string sound

my open g string does the same thing... i can't pinpoint where the problem is..

Comment

Well, you know more about guitar tech than I do.

Maybe.. it's a sympathetic vibration.

Does the noise go away when the strings pitch is changed? What about if you replace the string.

How about changing the clamp?

It could be the strings gone whacky.

Geeze, I dunno.. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

perhaps one side of the locking nut assembly is uneven. maybe when its left open the head side is higher and the side closest to neck is lower.

if that were the case it could cause a rattle when tightened completely due to bringing he string down further than it would normally rest (if unlocked).

then again if that were the case you'd probably be experiencing the same fluke all up and down the board...

idunno man color me retarded caure i'm stumped.

Comment

dude i gotta try that.. the g-string noise is killing me. thanks!

Comment

When you're tightening the nut block down it's raising the string off the fretboard side of the nut edge just enough to cause it to ratle. (false edge) The simple solution....replace the nut.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ooh, that gives me an idea....

*grabs guitar and messes with it*

Okay, I don't think it's the nut. I haven't had this problem before a few days ago, and it's bad enough it wouldn't be one of those problems that crops up overnight. Maybe...

*grabs guitar again*

New theory. It's the string! I did a few adjustments on the guitar the other day and when I tuned back up it cause the kink that is in the string where it passes over the nut to shift a bit. It makes contact fine, but when squished down
              like mm2002 mentions, the kink raises just enough to rattle against the front edge.

So I need some strings... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X