Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG with a passive, and 1 vol. How?

Hey folks!
    Gots a question: I was planning on putting an EMG in my Charvel Fusion. Now, the Fusion has 1 hum, 1 single(hotrails-technically a hum), 1 vol. and a 3-way blade toggle. If the EMG's run on a 250K pot, how can I hook up the other pickup if it needs a 500k pot? If I just use the 250K, will there be a significant change in the passive pickup?

Re: EMG with a passive, and 1 vol. How?

The EMG requires a 25 K ohm pot, not a 250 K ohm. Using the EMG pot with a passive pickup creates a dull/bass heavy tone. Try it, you might like the results. But why not add an EMG single coil to the neck?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I wouldn't recommend hooking a regular p/up and an EMG through the same pots. If you want to keep your neck p/up, I would recommend installing an EMG PA-2 boost circuit, where you send both pickups through the PA-2, and the PA-2 then goes into EMG 25k pots. The boost circuit is adjustable, and you can get one made without a toggle switch, if you don't want to do additional routing. Personally, I think it would easier to install another EMG pickup in the neck, and it would cost about the same amount of money. In a previous guitar, I had both EMG and regular pickups, but I had three pots to work with, so I was able to route the pickups separately.

Comment

Ah, I knew there wasn't an easy way around it! I kinda wanted to keep that passive if I could because it was a Hotrails, which is a humbucker in a single coil package. But, I don't use it all that much on this guitar to sweat it. I think I'll just take your advice and put an EMG single in the neck position. Thanks for the tip fellas! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The folks at EMG told me it was possible to use the standard 250K or 500K pot if that's all you have, but it won't be much like a volume knob to the active pickup, more like an on/off knob since it won't be gradual volume.

Comment

Really? That's good to know....I think I might try that. I never really roll the volume back on EMGs anyway...they're pretty much full on all the time. I'll give that a shot today since I'm snowed in and have nothing beter to do. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The folks at EMG told me it was possible to use the standard 250K or 500K pot if that's all you have, but it won't be much like a volume knob to the active pickup, more like an on/off knob since it won't be gradual volume.

Comment

I actually have a passive humbucker in my bridge, and an EMG SA in the neck. I also have only one volume knob on my guitar. I solved this problem by putting the 25k EMG pot on the inside of the cavity. This obviously does not allow you to adjust the volume levels while playing, but I use my bridge pickup almost exclusively anyway. They both work together, and the sound is interesting, not possibly something I'd use alot, but I can use it if I want to.

Comment

Working...
                X