je-1200 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• je-1200 question

My new model 4 has this and it seems to really ad power to the pups, too much power. I noticed in the catalog that they used a medium output j-50bc in these guitars. I took out the sh13 and I put in a j-90c but it sounds WAY hotter than it did in my model 2 even with the boost turned down to zero. Is the boost always on no matter what position the knob is in?
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Eh, are you sure that's a JE-1200? Because I don't remember mine being anything like that.

To answer your question though; the circuit is always "on" (otherwise you would get no sound), but the boost should not be on when you've rolled the boost knob down. I'm guessing your board was modded, or it's being used with wrong value pots.

Comment

It appears to be all original except for the pup replacement in the bridge. The mid-boost isn't on when I roll it down all the way but the output seems to be more than it was in another guitar. I am going to put in a pafpro to see if that helps calm it down, thanks.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I always have the impression that the je-1200 does boost the output of the guitar slightly, but not more than maybe 3 or four dB.

But I really like the slight coloring of the tone even when the boost is off, especially with pickups like the J90C, Distortion or Dimebucker geared towards a bit more of a "modern" vibe. Compresses the tone a bit as well, among other things good for the sort of clean passages where too much dynamics is a bad thing

Comment

I agree with what Z says. I notice a bit more output & a more compressed sound out of the Custom in my Model 6 (even with the boost turned down) compared to my other guitars with the same pickup. Took some getting used to, and I almost removed the circuit, but after a little experimenting with rolling off the volume knob a bit and changing amp settings as needed, I think it gives the guitar that much more versatility.

Comment

I agree with you guys, it is a tad hotter but kinda cool. I backed off the j-90c and I find the extra bite smooths out pick attack, I'm gonna keep it in there for awhile and see how it sounds through the main rig next week. I really like the mid boost for the single coil in the neck, fattens it nicely.

Comment

Working...
            X