Noise on G-string. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on G-string. HELP!!

I recently bought a new guitar. You know that Professional Dinky i started a thread about ("Japanse soloist, something to get?")
    Very nice, plays great, sounds fine... BUT there's a fucking annoying noise on the g-string that I cant stand.
    It sounds like there's something loose that rattles or something.. or like if the tone was distorted twice.. very hard to describe (cant put up any mp3's, dont know how to host them [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . Anyway, it's som "dirt" on the tone

I have no fucking clue where this noise comes from. The noise can only be heard through an amp, but it cant be the amp since I've tried the guitar with several amps.
    It cant be the pickups either since the noise appears on all of the pick-ups (But only on the g-string!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] )
    It's not the string itself either.. cause it was changed yesterday

What the f*ck is wrong? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    Do I need heavier strings? I use 10-52 now
    I took the gtr to a guitar tech, but he couldn't fix it either. Soo. PLEASE HELP!
    ANY help is appreciated
    Thanks

Re: Noise on G-string. HELP!!

I have never heard of such a thing.....any chance the pole piece in the pickup is loose?

Sounds like a pain it the ass

Comment

Nah, i dont think so... then the sound whould come from the other strings as well

My stratocaster also has this...but i dont mind it cause im selling it pretty soon

Comment

Wasn't this an abstract Bach piece?

Ok.. well, it sounds like the bridge, namely the G saddle. Not familiar with the Jackson Pro Dinky series, but I assume it's a Schaller floyd copy. Did you check the bridge and saddle for anything unusual?.. wear, grooves etc?

Comment

i have the same exact problem, but don't really mind it

Comment

The bridge and the saddles seems to be in good shape. The guitar tech thought that the guitar was new [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Where does this sound come from?
            The noise is irritating the shit out of me [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I still say it's sounding like something in the saddle..possible vibration of saddle against/on the bridge plate causing resonance throughout the string. G string can be weird sometimes. It's a shot in the dark, but if you find some way to dampen under the saddle, that might do the trick. A fine piece of cloth?
              I know hobby stores sell this very thin feltlight substance as my girlfriend uses it sometimes for crafts. The stuff is really durable, it's tightly woven and thin..just an idea.

I've heard this happening on a semi hollow before with a stop tailpiece and they went to a wound 3rd. Did you try a heavier gauge plain G like a .018 and see if it made any difference? What gauge is on there now?

Comment

Okok, I'll speek with the tech on thursday with that cloth and saddle stuff, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I dont know the exakt gauge on the g-string. Only that the whole string-set is 10-52.
                Will a heavier string make noise go away ?

What did you mean by "wound 3rd"? (Yes, my native language isn't english)

Comment

A wound 3rd is usually found in acoustic sets..it is a plain string core with a winding around it like you have on the low E, A and D strings.
                  A wound 3rd is a wound string same as those, only lighter gauge..like .018-.020. They are usually not for rock as most guys bend the G alot.

If you use a 10-52, I think the G string would already be a plain .017. Most sets have .016. Try a different gauge, or try dampening the block and see if that helps. Maybe a slight shim too.. like a .001-.002 piece of metal (less than a mm). That's about all I can think of for suggestions.

Comment

Check to make sure the string isn't sitting wrong in the saddle. By wrong I mean not in the proper groove for the string. Also check the intonation on the G string. It could also be a loose nut on a tuner at the headstock rattling.
                    I've had a string sound weird when its sitting on the square edge of the saddle instead of in the slot for it (like I mentioned above) I repositioned the string and the noise went away.
                    Make sure all the screws and things on the bridge are tight too. But don't over tighten them they will strip just make sure they are snug.
                    You mentioned the set up and adjusting the neck so its not a loose truss rod nut.
                    Im at a loss right now of any other ideas.
                    Gil

Comment

Does the string sound bad when it is played open, or fretted, or both? If only when fretted, which frets? Did you get the tech to do a setup on your guitar?

Comment

Yeah, both fretted and open. Every single fret... but the frets are in very good condition, so thats strange

Yeah, For a setup. He adjusted the neck and the floyd (it was tuned in Eb, now standard E)

Comment

Okok, thx for the replies

The tech must fix it! Or else..... I'll kill him! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously now....that noise is really pissing me off.

Comment

But why isn't the noise heard when you play it unplugged?! No amp i mean [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

That is odd.. as you would probably hear some acoustically as well. Put your ear up against the body while you play the G and see if you can hear it then....you can also try to pinpoint it by listening in different areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X