7 string guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string guitars?

what do they offer, and how are they set up.

whats the tuning like for it, and what does it give?

extra thump or something?

Re: 7 string guitars?

You can switch back and forth between B-E-A-D-G-B-E and B-E-A-D-F#-B-E on the 7-string. With just a half step retuning of one string, it goes from a standard tuned 6-string with an extra low B to a low B "baritone"-tuned six string with an extra high E.

Comment

Most people tune 7-strings (Low to High) BEADGBE. It's the same as a 6-string but with an extra low string tuned to B, a perfect 4th below E. The result is you can play lower notes and chords than a standard tuned 6-string will allow.

Some people have tried tuning the 7-string (Low to High) EADGBEA, with a high A instead of a low B. These high A's tend to break very easily, so there are very few people who tune like this.

Comment

I tune mine half a step down (B flat) with a set of .11 guage strings on. The seven offers great versatility for down tuned metal as well as some great jazz options (think Dream Theater). I've heard of some people tuning down to low G flat with theirs and I can't imagine playing like that. The strings would be like wet noodles. Plus I don't care much for the nu-metal stuff that is out there. Apparently, seven strings are losing some of their popularity which is a shame. They are a great addition to anyone's arsenal.

Comment

nu-metal? Screw that, super low tunings are all about doom! Good stuff, I tell ya.

Comment

ahh thanks

Comment

Set up the same way a regular guitar is, with care taken in the neck adjust area because of the extra tension.

Get it set up, and it's just a 6 string with a fatter neck and another string.

Comment

Working...
              X