String gauge for drop tunings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String gauge for drop tunings

I typically play with 9"s or 10"s in standard tuning (moving more toward 10"s lately). I need to drop down 2 semitones for a current project. I have my DK2 set up with 12"s, but they feel too heavy and inflexible. Any suggestions?
    http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

I tune down 2 semitones as well and the Zakk 10-60 GHS set works well. .....keeps the high strings where you can play some lead and the lower strings taught with some tension on 'em

Originally posted by Trev57 View Post
    I typically play with 9"s or 10"s in standard tuning (moving more toward 10"s lately). I need to drop down 2 semitones for a current project. I have my DK2 set up with 12"s, but they feel too heavy and inflexible. Any suggestions?
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I hate the 60s for anything above drop C, they are stiff as boards and GHS strings never are that vibrant, they sound like they are six months old right out of the box. I usually play Elixir heavies, I think its 13-54. They might be 12-54. They do kick ass though and will be fine for D standard.

You should eventually make the jump to stiff strings sooner or later. The stiffer the string, the more I like them, except on the low end because they get to be impossible to bend on the low frets and your pinch harmonics suffer unless you have total sausage fingers.

Comment

I put EB 9s on my black NASL for C# - works for me. They're definitely loose, but I don't do Speed Metal on 'em. Black Sabbath stuff mostly.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For 2 semitones (Drop-d) I would use the Zakk 10- 60 boomers. You may need to raise your action a tad for them though if you use a low action setup.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The move from 9's to 10"s was OK for me. My lead playing is not affected. But when I use my DK2 with D'Addario 12-52's I just find that the fluidity goes out of my playing. I am going to try a compromise 10, 13, 17 from the EXL110 set combined with maybe 28, 38, 48 from the next size up to see how this feels.
            http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

For my drop A tuning (A,E,A,D,G,B....like drop A on a 7 string minus the high E) I use the Zakk Boomers with the 70 low string. Talk about a heavy string!!! Bass like....but works great on the short scale of a Warrior Pro.
              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

i use 10-52 for down a tone and 10-56 for drop c
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

For tuning to D, I use 11-48 EB Power Slinky (11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 48). I'll sometimes buy other brands in the same gauge, but they substitute the 48 to either a 49 or 50. Works fine for me.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have my Fusion Special tuned to D with Dean Markley .11-.52s. They work great.

Comment

I love D'Addarios. My WRMG is standard tuned with 10's and my Westone Dimension IV is tuned a step down with 11's. Love both setups, but I like the 11's and a step down better string-feel wise. WRMG is my speed/power metal guitar. Westone is for Death/heavy metal. Lots of tremelo picking with heavy pics(usually 1.5mm but nothing lighter than 1mm.)
                      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Working...
                      X