Project I am working on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project I am working on...

I have had a quilt drop top laying around for ages. Its a 4A quilt top on a basswood body. Its is balanced quite well in terms of the weight. I thought for sure it was going to be kind of front heavy - if that makes sense.

Here is the top after a final 220 sanding wet with alcohol...

After that dried, I washed it with a pigment heavy coat of black analine water based dye. I let it soak a bit and then rubbed on it to dry the excess. Here it is still wet.

When dry I will sand it back to sand out the dye in the high grain ( I hope ) and apply the color. This isreally tricky as I am going to experiement with a water based top coat. The top coat I am going to use it KTM-9. I wont be able to wash coat the black with laquer like you would normally do prior to adding color. I am a bit scared at trying this as its a fairly new technique and is harder that using laquer. I dont have spray gear or access to nitrocellulose in a can so I have to wing it. More as it developes.

A simple tool of the trade.

ok so a few hours pass and its time to sand.

I sand the top down with 220 grit paper wrapped around a floyd trem block. nice and flat. I had to knock the grain down or I would have simply buffed with alcohol to take the color off. Since I used a water based dye the grain raised after application. the application of the black really help the grain pop. Here it the body dry after a sand.

Notice how "milky" it looks? that is the dust settled into the sanding scratch marks. The eye can't see them but they are there. I whiped off the dust with a cotton towel ( dry ) and then gave its a rub down twice with alcohol. For two reasons - 1. it removes any finger oil I may have left on the surface . 2. It knocks off the loose dye molecules and give the black color a more blended look on the maple. It softens it.

Here it is wet with alcohol.

Well I had a really hard choice to make. I love the rootbeer color the black dye gave me after this sand. I liked it even more when it was wet see above. The alcohol gives a clue as to what the guitar will look like finished.

After letting the body dry again I was ready for color. The cool things about a double color dye is that you can control the intensity and depth of a dye job. The black and "color" method is what I like best. GMW uses single and double color - at least that is the way it looks, Warmoth does a variety of different things as does jackson. I think Sully told me he shoots tinted clear. I believe his blue firebird quilt was a tinted clear shoot.

Anyway here is the color.

After I let it dry I need to decide what I am going to do with the back. I think I am going to dye it purple and have a natural binding on the edge. the back is basswood so its going to not be the best choice for dye but I am lazy. I will for sure use KTM 9.

I will be editing this thread as it progresses.
    Last edited by eddie_van_earache; 02-15-2007, 05:45 AM.

This is what inspired me...

Comment

that's looking damn good so far. I like it better than the Warmoth body
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks man. I hate that damn fender route. WHO DOES THAT TO A NICE QUILT TOP.. WTF>!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thats looking great. I have started a project like this but I am adding a boodmatched flamed top. where did you get the dyes from? That's exactly the finish I am trying to get. I will be following this thread!

Comment

Hey Rich Thanks.

I got them at LMII.com. Luthier Mercantile. I used water based. They also sell alcohol based. Both are analine dyes. Thats what you want.

I bought both sets but they sell individual colors as well. As far as directions. I mixed the black sort of strong and the purple really strong. each 1/2 ounce makes a few quarts. I prolly did a concetration of purple that was 3 times too strong. BUT i wanted the color to be deep.

Comment

Good job there!

Comment

Looks beautiful!

Son Of Spy
                1976 Gibson Mk53
                1988 Charvel Model 3
                1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Wow... VERY nice...

Comment

thanks fella's

Comment

Looks good so far. Very nice indeed.
                      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Very cool I also like it better than the Warmoth

Comment

looks killer!

Keep us posted!
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Beauty top and Dye

Comment

I like it very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X