Pickup Wirering help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Wirering help

Can I assume that the four wires on a Jackson Hum. ( red, black, white, and green )serve the same purpose as the four wires of the same color on a Semour Duncon Hum. Can I just solder the same color wires to the same place if I want to switch them. I have a complete 3a dual hum. setup with the tone knob and a five way switch and a Jackson with a JB and an invader with a three way and no tone knob. I want to end up with the SD's, a tone knob, and the five way selecter. Is this just a straitforward soldering job or is it more complicated than that. Thanks in advance, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Pickup Wirering help

Check in here: www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams.html
    Maybe it can help you.

Comment

OK, That will give you a headache. Let me rephrase it. Do the colored wires serve the same purpose on both Jackson and SD pickups. If no body stops me I'll find out the hard way!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] There are dozens of different pickup makers, have they no standard that they all use or is it everyone just picks whatever color they like . I know in normal electics green is ground [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] white is neutral [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] , colored is load [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Help, Dana

Comment

Dude...you are talking DC circuits here bro...in DC black is NEVER hot, or shouldn't be. There is really no "neutral", that is a AC path to return the balance back to "ground" or the established ground from a Delta or Delta-Wye system.

Comment

I just used the ac as an example. I get the AC, DC thing. What I want to know is do they use the same colored wires to do the same thing. There are four wires coming out of all four of these pickups, a red, a black, a white, and a green. Can I interchange them based on the wire colors.
          Thanks for the help, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

If I remember correctly:

Duncan pickups you would start with the green/black and finish with the red/white.

Jackson pickups would be white/red to start and green/black to finish.

DiMarzios are green/red start and white/black finish.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm afraid to answer the question for I have been shamed [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Don't feel bad. Feel good. I am getting the info I need to make a great Jackson even better. If I use the Jackson switch, tone and volume setup and flip, flop the green/black and the red/white I should get what I'm after. Thanks, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Jackson and Duncan use the identical wiring code colors. Under normal conditions: black is hot. Green and bare are ground. White and red are the series link or coil tap. Jackson always admired Duncan in pickups. The early USA wound Jacksons were approximations of Duncan models and used the same wiring colors.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah what Joe said. Although I have noticed when mixing Duncan hums with JAckson Hums some times the reen wire and the black wire would need to be switched on of them cus it sounds out of phase the other way. But if your using same brand pups Like two Duncans or two Jacksons together than yes they are identical in wireing.
                    Gil

Comment

And for the record, no, not all manufacturers use the same color scheme.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll get the soldering iron out tomorrow. Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I got the soldering iron out and changed them according to colors. When I plugged it in I got an ugly squeal so I fliped the two wires to the back of the plug. It works. Thanks everyone, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Go Dana! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hope you got it, my friend!
                              [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X