Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fretboard dye/stain - what about the edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard dye/stain - what about the edges?

I've decided to stain the fretboard on my TH-2 Stealth, as the rosewood is of the very light variety. I'll probably just try the Stew-Mac stain, since it seems to get universally good reviews. But I am curious about how to best stain the fretboard edges. Does the stain soak through from the top and darken the edges on its own, or will I need to apply it separately along the sides? Is there a particular kind of tape that works especially well for masking off the neck? Being that the side dots are so small, is there really anything that can be done to easily get excess dye off of them without taking off the dye on the surrounding wood?
    Last edited by Inazone; 02-12-2007, 04:03 PM.
    sigpic

Apply stain with Q tip, also have an alcohol-dipped Q tip at the ready to take off excess dye or oopsies.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, how's it going?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

How are you going to do the sides when there's a finish on there? Unless you've removed the finish?
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I guess I wasn't expecting the edges of an unbound bolt-on to be finished, but haven't specifically checked. Better take a closer look...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
            How are you going to do the sides when there's a finish on there? Unless you've removed the finish?
            I was going to say that!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
            X