Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good tool for measuring neck relief that I can find locally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tool for measuring neck relief that I can find locally?

The 24" straightedges on the Stewmac site are a month on back order. Can anyone recommend a tool to use that I can find locally?

You can check Woodcraft. You may have a local store or at least order online and they are cheaper than stewmac. I actually just bought the 24" precision and then take that to Lowes or Home Depot and check the $3 ones against it and by one that is straight. That way I never mess up my good one and I don't care how many I screw up since they are cheap.

Comment

Get a T-Square from staples or office depot. You can remove the "T" off of it and you have a nice straight edge.

Comment

Use the strings as a straight edge. Capo at the nut, then fret down at the last fret, and measure the relief.

Comment

DonP ...... i literaly ran to my guitar, after i read your post......... needless to say to pretty darn good way to measure
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Any hardware store should sell stainless steel straightedges.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              Any hardware store should sell stainless steel straightedges.
              +1
              I use a metal yard stick.
              Works great.
              -Rick

Comment

Use a string. You can measure relief by comparing the distance to a guitar string - I prefer about .009 or so, or the size of most people's High E string. I know it's not scientific but it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                X