Pickup wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup wiring issue

Ok, I pulled the HZ's from my DKMGT and put a pair of invaders in it. I followed the wiring diagram and I am a bit perplexed. The neck invader is a newer pickup and the bridge is a late 80's. The bridge sounds fine, but the neck sounds like it is 6ft from the strings. It sounds distant, if that makes any sense. Maybe it is just the difference between the model through the years? I did change the tone and volume pots awhile back and they are CTS 500K. Any thoughts on what to do? Currently wired black to ground, white and red wires soldered together and taped off and green to the 3 way on the ends.
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

I believe the neck version is about half the output of the bridge. Try raising it closer to the strings. Pluck the strings and switch between the two until the volume is about the same.

If you find it's too close to the strings, it may be a wiring issue like a cold solder joint or you might just have a bad pup. Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

Comment

They should both be bridge invaders, unless the ones they put in the fender esquire gt customs are actually neck pups.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
        Currently wired black to ground, white and red wires soldered together and taped off and green to the 3 way on the ends.
        Black is normally hot and green is ground though, aren't they?

However, I doubt that's the problem - as long as you've wired both pups the same way, they should work fine together.

Comment

Yep, I even downloaded the seymour duncan schematic and used it. Maybe I will switch them and see if there is a marked difference. I just think the older pup is much hotter.

Comment

Working...
          X