ask me about strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ask me about strings

hey not trying to sell anything here but i am the factory rep for rotosound strings,and i also play music,so any questions ask me

Re: ask me about strings

Can i have a sample set of those Steve Harris flatwounds? Pretty Pleeeeeease????? I'm a poor mofo right now [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Does Rotosound make guitar strings nowadays or still only bass strings?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

they used to make strings; randy rhoads used them when he was in england. dunno about now, tho.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

actually i do have a serious question. i have read flatwounds use a larger core. which reduces the percieved "floppiness" of strings or creates a higher "perceived tension" when tuned down. many people recommend that Steve Harris set just for this purpose. any truth to this or is it a myth?

[ November 21, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: buzzsaww ]

Comment

I've played flatwounds (also known as tapewounds), and lemme tell ya - if you ain't got enough body oil, prepare for a short gig [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Unless you can jump from note to note without sliding even a micron [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the tension, if you think about it logically, the flatwounds use fewer wraps than roundwounds, simply because flat windings take up more space (wider), however, the roundwound wraps are also thicker, which means a flatwound would take a larger core to achieve the same string gage.

Dr Newcenstein
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

right but how does that affect the "percieved floppiness" for lack of a better word. Is it reduced?

Comment

now that i think about it. i guess it would cause if you took a low string E and tuned it to a high E it would be like playing a wire froma cyclone fence.

Comment

Exactly - thicker core + fewer outer windings = less springiness - ergo, tighter perceived tension [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dr Newcenstein
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sully I thought Randy used strings called Piccoto or something when he was in England.

Comment

Working...
                    X