Removing a stubborn knob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a stubborn knob...

I'm having difficulty taking the volume knob off my Fusion Plus.

When I turn the knob, it feels like it is turning a little too far (ie, twisting in the hole) and I'd like to tighten the nut a little.

But I can't remove the knob.

The screw that clamps the knob to the shaft turns alright, but the knob will not budge from the pot. I even tried placing some cloth on the face of the guitar to protect the surface and levering it up with a screwdriver, but didn't push it too far because I certainly don't want to damage anything.

It's like the knob is glued to the shaft.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    Hail yesterday

Gary, have you tried using a pair of mole grips? Wrap a cloth around the volume knob first (or don't, volume knobs aren't that much of a sacrifice) and set the grips. You'll have a lot more leverage...

Comment

"Mole grips"?

Like, Vise-Grips?

Have you tried the Kung-Fu Grip?

Seriously, Gary, sounds like you're getting old if you can't pull your knob. Let the Mrs have a go
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Gary, you can also try taking a piece of cloth and wrapping it around the underside of the knob, almost like a sling, twist the cloth into a "rope" and pull the knob off. Does that make sense? If you need pics, I'm sure I could show you.
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
          Gary, have you tried using a pair of mole grips? Wrap a cloth around the volume knob first (or don't, volume knobs aren't that much of a sacrifice) and set the grips. You'll have a lot more leverage...

But be REALLY careful doing that! I had some idiot super-glue a knob on before and almost pulled the pot right through the pick-guard! I had to take it to my tech and he had to cut the knob off and replace the pot.......
          "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

If it absolutely won't come off with the above suggestions you could drill the top and side of it.

Comment

if you can get the set screw all the way out, do that, and then shoot a little bit of wd 40 or something to that extent in the hole. that may loosen it up a little bit more.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i wish i had that problem with my dk2.. the tone knob keeps on falling no matter how many times i tighten it to the shaft
                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak View Post
                  i wish i had that problem with my dk2.. the tone knob keeps on falling no matter how many times i tighten it to the shaft
                  ghetto fix that, simply puy a piece of paper over the pot and then put the knob back on and tighten, it won't come even if you try, or a small piece of thin cloth
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                  X