Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson pickup inequalities? Lets discuss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickup inequalities? Lets discuss...

Ive got quite a few guitars with J50's and J80's, but none of them sound the same at all.

-First is the Model 6/JT6. J50 and its pretty hot, sounds great, I love everything about it. This is factory wiring.

-Second Model 6/Kahler. J50 is not as hot sounding, noticeable less output. I rewired this 100% new, everything is correct.

-Third is my Rhoads Pro. J80, this thing is rediculously hot. Hotter than ANY other guitar I have... EMG's, Duncan Dime... doesent matter. Its so hot that I have to roll back the volume big time especially on clean channels. Channels no other guitars have a problem with, this just overdrives the channel beyond belief.

-Fourth is the KV Pro/Hardtail Kahler. J80, but nowhere near as hot as the Rhoads Pro. Still sounds good, but Id say about as hot as the Model 6/JT6.

Now, either these inequalities are due to the pickups, or could it really be the Kahlers sucking the tone? Coincidentally, both Kahler guitars are noticeably less "hot" than the Floyd style.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone narrowed it down to what it really could be?

Oh and lets keep the Kahler bashing to another thread... Thanks! I personally love Kahlers almost as much as Floyds... but were not getting into that, were getting into how tone is affected by bridge systems.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

I have an 87 USA Jackson super strat with J-50s (body is maple) and it is huge in the tone dept JE1200 mid boost.A93 Jackson fusion H-H professional (mahogony) with 90s J-50s the pickups are smooth and punchy.The J-90c's vary greatly from the begining to the end.The early made in USA J-90's are the best IMO a very over the top distortion class pickup.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Rob, just asking this to make sure everything is an apples-to-apples comparison: are the pickups definitely the same models in each of the guitars, ie. J-50BC vs J-50BC, J-80C vs J-80C, because the difference is pretty big between the alnico & ceramic versions of those pickups. I especially was wondering if maybe you have an alnico J-50 in the Model 6 that you rewired.

As for the Kahler vs. Floyd, I have a few guitars (same woods, bolt-on) with Duncan Customs in them, and the one with the Kahler has a little less bite & the highs are less pronounced. I wouldn't call the Kahler a tone-sucker, it just colors the tone differently. You might be able to get a tone more to your liking if you switch from brass to steel rollers & cams on the Model 6.

Comment

Good point DG... Ill have to pull them out and check them real quick!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Alrighty well to add a little bit to this, I checked the Model 6/JT6 guitar while doing a fret polish and it IS a J50BC. Now Im almost positive that there is a J50B in the Kahler Model 6, so Ive got an evil little plan...

I bought 4 Jackson PU's off of a guy on eBay... Three J80c's and one J50N. One of the J80's windings were destroyed... so Im going to put swap out the ceramic magnet over to the J50B! Should work great!

Comment

As the proud owner of a ceramic J-80C in my DinkyRev Pro...

Let us know how it turns out.

Personally I'm trying to find out specs/data etc. on the J-85 Blade
            humbucker which I heard for the very first time today
            ...when after a week of frenzied work I finally <almost>
            finished the repairs/rebuilding of my DK5.

Cheers!

Son of Spy
            1976 Gibson Mk53
            1988 Charvel Model 3
            1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
              so Im going to put swap out the ceramic magnet over to the J50B! Should work great!
              Making it J50BC? Cool, let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Will do... Im just wondering if the magnet has to go in a certain way in relation to the magnetic poles. Anyone?

Comment

Opposites attract.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X