9's or 10's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9's or 10's ?

I like the tone of 10's but I'm bushed by the middle of the third set to the point that I can't do shit anymore.

9's are easier for tricks and speed, but they sound like bees around the nest.

What do you guys do about it? ?????
    Strat God Music
    http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

I use 11's.

Comment

I use 9's, I have 10's on my hellraiser 7 and I had 10's on my new Carvin 7 but I re strung it las night with 9's and I like it a whole lot better.
      I agree 10's and 11's sound thicker, but I'm fine with the sound I get from 9's. (I just turn up the low res on my 5150 a little more )
      I'm with you I don't like to "work" when I'm playing
      Last edited by kmanick; 02-10-2007, 09:27 AM.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I hate 10`s I either use 9-42 most of the time, but will use 9-46`s and even 8-38`s once and a while. 9-46`s is the biggest I can handle, I like my strings very slinky Jack.

Comment

Depends on the guitar.
          I use 9-42 on most of mine, but 10-46 on my strat.
          -Rick

Comment

Try different brands too, I use 9-46 cause I like 'em slinky up high but need more beef for the chunk' down low. Elixirs to me feel a heap slinkier then even the Ernie Balls I like so much. You could even try using bigger strings down tuned a little, or even concert pitch, just for 15-30mins a night during the week to build the muscles up. Though your probably finding the fatigue limits of your hand muscles.

'speriment dude!

Comment

its all pref.
              i have .13s on acoustic
              .13s on my LP (rythems)
              and i plan on having .10 on my new guitar (leads)

Comment

To actually post something worthwhile in this thread: how about going with 10's and tuning down, say, half a step?

Comment

I'd recommend that you string one of your guitars with heavier gauge like 12's. Practice with this one exclusively for a month or two (or more). Then for your gigging guitars keep the 10's for tone, and because your finger strength will have improved, you will have much more endurance and the 9's and 10's will feel effortless.
                  "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

9-42 D'Addario (sp?)
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I had used 9' for years but switched to 11's when I bought a guitar strung with them and now I won't play with anything less.

As far as tone goes, Billy Gibbons and Malmsteen have been playing with 8's for years and their tone doesn't seem to suffer due to the the skinny strings. I tend to think your brain is playing with your ears because we always equate fatter strings with bigger tone and it's probably just not the case. I just like the way fatter strings feel under my fingers, the tone difference is imperceptible to me.
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                        I hate 10`s I either use 9-42 most of the time, but will use 9-46`s and even 8-38`s once and a while. 9-46`s is the biggest I can handle, I like my strings very slinky Jack.
                        And Thus the Super Slinky:ROTF:

I use both 9-42 and 10-46. Also 11-52. It depends on the guitar and the mood I'm in that day. I really enjoy changing strings :ROTF:
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If you want to use 10s but with less tension, the common solution is to tune down a half step or more.

Another solution is to use gauge 10 DR strings, they have less tension than normal strings, so you can use 10s strung to concert pitch and still have them very slinky. I have been using them (along with other brands) for a while now, and they sound good too

I use 10- 46 tuned to concert pitch on all my Jacksons
                          10-52 tuned to D for my Schecter C-1 Classic (TOM bridge)
                          11s tuned to eb for my Agile LP copy
                          9-42 tuned to eb on my Meanstreet 5150
                          8-48 YJM signature set tuned to eb on my YJM Strat

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                            I use 11's.
                            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Fender strat tuned to Eb - 9's
                              Fender Katana tuned to E - 9's
                              Ibanez RG tuned to E - 9's
                              ESP V tuned E, Eb or D - 10's
                              Washburn tuned to E - 10's
                              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X