Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Securing a floyd nut without the bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing a floyd nut without the bolts...

Big time apologies if I missed some obvious place around here where this has been covered--I did do a search, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it.

I have a new floyd I want to install on one of my guitars. It has the two long bolts for installing it from behind, but I want to install it without drilling those two holes in the neck. I've seen this done dozens of times, but I'm not sure what's holding the nut down in those cases. (I don't have any guitars done this way for ref, either).

Is it glued? Is it screwed down using wood screws? If so, how long of a screw is needed?

Thanks guys!

There are two kinds of Floyd nuts: Rear mount, like what you mentioned, and front mount, where you have two wood screws that pass through the front of the nut, into the neck, leaving no traces from the back of the neck, which is what you experienced on the other guitars. Either way, you NEED some sort of mounting screws/bolts.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Yep, my KE3 has that too.
      Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
      Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
      Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Ahh, I see. So there is actually another version of the nut I have that is specifically designed for screwing down from the top?

I checked out the floyd rose site but I'm not sure which one I need. I only see two 1 5/8 nuts listed, one for a bullet trussrod, one regular.

The nut I have is called "R2."

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Actually, on closer examination, the nut I have here has countersunk holes that appear to be fine for use with wood screws. I guess it must be a universal nut.

Any suggestions on how short I can go with the wood screws? Rather drill into the neck as little as possible.

Comment

IIRC, those screws are almost as long as the screws that hold pickup rings on. Measure them against the thicknessof the neck at the platform to be sure.

Put them in the nut and rest the nut on the edge of the platform and see how far into the neck the screws would go.

If it's a brand new nut in the box, it should have come with the top-mount screws. Maybe in a separate bag.

I'd at least go half the thickness of the neck at the shelf, maybe a hair less.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM.
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                There's an even rarer version that uses a rubber band and chewing gum as the lock nut mount, but it was discontinued due to infighting among the FR engineers as to whether Hubba Bubba or Bubbalicious was the better gum to use.
                the MacGyver mod :ROTF:

The screws I have are 5/8" long. They came in the box with an OFR. Most floyd nuts these days are universal(you can mount them either way with the proper screws)

Comment

I've used through the neck Floyd nuts top mointed before...I se pck-up mounting ring scews (as News indicated) as they have a slight smaller head that the regular top mounted floyd nut screws.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks guys!

I went through all the parts for the floyd and I don't appear to have any of said top mount screws with mine (bought it new from Warmoth). I should be able to get something appropriate from the hardware store, though.

Thanks for all the great info, guys. Should be able to get it done now. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X