Chip touchups on Translucent Color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip touchups on Translucent Color?

What is the best way to touch up chips on a translucent colors? I need to filla couple of small chips on a tranlucent red that go doen to the wood. Someone suggested nail polish. Any suggestions appreciated.

It depends on the finish for lacquer (nitro), I drop fill with nitro clear lacquer. For polyurethane and acrylic lacquer finishes, I use 2 part, PPG (OMNI) Polyurethane clear drop fills. Fill till covex to the finish, let cure, then wet sand with 800 grit micro abrasives on up to 1800 grit. Then buff with compounds.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I guess maybe I meant transparent red. How about the color? How is that added - into the clear?

Comment

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...r_Lacquer.html

Stewmac has tints for the clear. I would test the amount of pigment that is put in the clear on a "test piece" first. If the chip is deep into the translucent and no wood is showing through you can go light on the pigment. The stuff is really concentrated, so add very little. You will have to experiment. In many cases you will not get an exact match in density on spot repairs like this. So be prepared. If there is still some red under the chip, I would use the clear by itself with no tint.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That's a cool Link. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X