Capacitor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor question

In one of my Jacksons I've got a Tone Zone in the bridge and a J50N in the neck. At the time it was wired up with those pickups, a .047mf tone capacitor was put in (it's the only one that was laying around). I know those caps are mainly used for bass. If I put in a .022mf cap, will it give the guitar more highs and be less dark and muddy sounding?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Capacitor question

That is correct, you win the kewpie. To shift the tone towards the treble end, you should go with a capacitor that is of a lesser value. That might be a little to much from what you had but you can tailor it to your tastes or just roll it back to take off the edge if it's to sharp. Not sure what the stock ones are/were.

here's a link to cover just about anything in this area and others.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/tonerange.html

[ November 17, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Thanks. How would it sound if I just took the cap out altogether? Or does a cap need to be in there?

Comment

I would say that depends on taste of tone, so it's a trial and error thing. I have heard of them being taken out altogether, how commonplace that is, I do not know.

Comment

Cool. Maybe I'll just pull it out altogether and see how it sounds before I make a trip to the store for a lower cap. It sounds pretty good through my old Marshall Valvestate, but through my new Mesa it sounds very dark and a little muddy (plus it's tuned to D). Thanks again! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Let me know what value you want and I will send you one. Don't bother going to the store. I have every value in stock.

Comment

Thanks, John. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] You've got mail!

Comment

Working...
              X