Kahler Pro string breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Pro string breakage

Anyone have any tips on how to reduce high-E string breakage with Kahler Pro flatmount trems?

Seems they always break right at the ball end, even though I only use the trem lightly. I'm using Dean Markley Blue Steel 10s.

Re: Kahler Pro string breakage

It seems to help if you pre-bend the string to fit the radius that it crosses over before you actually put it in the string holder. Also, after it is pre-bent, try a little solder where the string is braided at the ball end but don't get any solder on the ball. You can also try a set of strings that were made by "S.I.T." I believe. They made them just for these but I have never tried them and only heard about them.

Hope that helps [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] ,

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Here are a couple things you can do.

You can solder the ball ends to reinforce the wraps (I do this) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Get some #14THHN from a hardware store etc. about a foot long and strip off about a 3/" piece to slip around the string by the ball end.

Strat players have done this for years [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This should help you out some, or at least give you some ideas. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, solder the ball ends. Or just get a Floyd! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ November 15, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks -- I'll give the solder idea a shot... kinda a pain to do with each string change though.

I also have a Floyd-equipped guitar and strings last for months on that thing. But honestly, I prefer the Kahlers!

Comment

Simple solution....Ernie Ball RPS strings. They are re-enforced at the ball end to prevent breakage. I use them on all my Kahler equipped axes...

-Kenn

Comment

I never broke any when using SIT strings made for Kahlers............

Comment

Working...
              X