How long should a guitar sit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should a guitar sit

...Before opening the case. I just had a guitar delivered and it's 23 degrees outside. How long should I let it sit in the closed case before opening it indoors?
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Give it a couple of hours to adjust if its painted with lacquer If its polyurethane an hour maybe.
    Last edited by straycat; 02-06-2007, 10:54 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's an SL1 if that helps any.

Comment

I'd give it a couple of hours regardless of the finish. That's a pretty extreme temperature shift. +/- 50 degree shift is not something you want to do to a neck through guitar.
        -Rick

Comment

Just fucking open it. I take my guitars to band practice when it's below 0 degrees celsius and snowing. I wait for about half an hour for my bandmates at the bus station(since i live in a shithole, I have to take the bus to town earlier).
          I do this every week, and so far no warped necks or fungii growing on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby View Post
            Just fucking open it. I take my guitars to band practice when it's below 0 degrees celsius and snowing. I wait for about half an hour for my bandmates at the bus station(since i live in a shithole, I have to take the bus to town earlier).
            I do this every week, and so far no warped necks or fungii growing on it.
            +1

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
              ...Before opening the case. I just had a guitar delivered and it's 23 degrees outside. How long should I let it sit in the closed case before opening it indoors?
              DON'T Open it... send it to me ! lol
              Nah - I usually try to let it sit for a few hours in the room you'll open it in.

Comment

It's been sitting for 3 hours now

Comment

I usually only wait 15- 30 minutes.
                  Though, I really don't think it makes that much of a difference. I read something about this on the Les Paul Forum not long ago. A guy actually wanted the finish to check on his guitar, he left it in his cold car overnight, brought it in and opened the case right away... nothing happened.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i believe most cases are insulated with like 4 or 5 inches of foam........... it will usually stays a constant temp. to open i wouldn't wait........now to start messing with the neck and action, i would wait a few days or a week
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I usually only wait 15- 30 minutes.
                      Though, I really don't think it makes that much of a difference. I read something about this on the Les Paul Forum not long ago. A guy actually wanted the finish to check on his guitar, he left it in his cold car overnight, brought it in and opened the case right away... nothing happened.
                      Maybe if he did that for about a year..the parts would start to get a little rusty..provided he didn't wipe it down at all. Funny experiment..but if they want finish checks..I suggest they buy a relic model, a 25-30yr old Dean or a 40 year old Strat or Gibson and be done with it.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Just last weekend we had to drive an hour to get to our gig in 15 degres weather. I had time while I had to set up the pa, so I set my 2 axes, an SL2H and a Gibby Studio, off to the side and just cracked the cases open. I don;t have a problem though taking an ice cold guitar right out of it's case.

Comment

This "let the guitar warm inside it's case" thing is just one of those goofy old wives tales. I mean, do you think there's any difference between the guitar warming up inside the case, as opposed to outside? That's just silly.

I'm not saying that you should immediately pull her out, plug into a half stack, and wail away for an hour. Sure, the guitar should be left to warm up to room temperature. But leaving it in its case makes no difference whatsoever. And a visual inspection to make sure everything's in order, or - heavens to betsy! - a strum or two ain't going to hurt anything.

Comment

Yeah, what he says....

Comment

I would let it sit in the case over night. Then, the next day, open it slowly in one inch intervals about every hour until it's open wide enough to take the guitar out. See if it plays ok, and if it doesn't, put it back in the case and repeat the procedure the next day.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X