Question about volume pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about volume pots

I have a project guitar that plays awesome but sounds kinda brittle no matter what pickup I throw in it. Do you think a 250k volume pot as opposed to a 500k volume pot would help reduce this brittle quality? The guitar is alder, has one humbucker, volume knob and a Floyd. Maple/maple neck. I've tried a few different Duncans, a Tone Zone, and a PAF Pro, which is the darkest pickup I have IMO. This is getting frustrating!

Is it a heavy piece of alder? or is it maple.Maple tends to be edgy.Alder if you have a 3 or 4 piece body they tend to have no life in them.
    A 250k pot will tame a shrill pickup most of the time.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It is fairly light weight. The guitar sounds brittle... almost like every pickup that I've put in there is a single coil (I know there are different wire color codes so the coils were definitely wired in series). Could it be that the pot I'm using is damaged in some way? I guess I'll have to pick up one of each tomorrow and check it out.

Comment

Yeah, I'd try a 250K. That mod is so cheap and easy to do it's a no brainer. If ya don't like it, just hook the 500K back up. Keep in mind that a guitar with 500K volume and 500K tone pots dimed sounds similar to to a dimed 250K pot by itself.

Comment

If that doesn't work, you can try to find a pickup with more bass/mids than treble. I might actually go that route because I have the same problem. I think it has a lot to do with the Floyd causing the sound to be a bit bright and thin.

Hey Chad, where in Indiana are you?
          Cheers!

Comment

Are they wired correctly? Red and white wires soldered together and taped.If you only have 1/2 the humbucker working that would cause that problem.guitarelectronics.com has some good wiring diagrams.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by usrname View Post
              If that doesn't work, you can try to find a pickup with more bass/mids than treble. I might actually go that route because I have the same problem. I think it has a lot to do with the Floyd causing the sound to be a bit bright and thin.

Hey Chad, where in Indiana are you?
              You don't hear much about the Duncan PATB-1, but I've been hanging out on the Duncan forum some and that pickup gets rave reviews and specifically for usage in trem guitars. I've got a guitar that I'd like to try one in sometime.

I'm a little north of Evansville.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                You don't hear much about the Duncan PATB-1, but I've been hanging out on the Duncan forum some and that pickup gets rave reviews and specifically for usage in trem guitars. I've got a guitar that I'd like to try one in sometime.

I'm a little north of Evansville.
                Is that the Distortion pup with the little flat pole pieces?

I'm in Hammond.
                Cheers!

Comment

and if you cant get anything to sound right-
                  You can always slap n EMG in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X