Suggestions for a spare knob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a spare knob?

Okay, I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and have the Duncans in the SL2H wired back to passive. Someone had installed an EMG Strat Presence Control (thanks again to Sunbane for identifying this) and I feel that it's muffling the tone a bit. I experimented by taking the battery out and the extra knob still adjusts the bass boost. I also compared it back to back tonight with an import Jackson with the Duncan Designed pups, plus a Fusion with an EMG 81. Those two sound more normal to me. The SL2H sounds like there's a tone control set roughly at about 50% and it lacks a touch of bite on leads.

Anyway.... as you can see here, there's an extra knob which currently controls the EMG-SPC:

My question is, can you recommend a use for that knob that I could have the tech wire it for? I can't think of anything and I'm leaning toward having him replace it with a kill switch (I did this on the Fusion, also). I like having a kill switch.

-OR-

I might have him wire the existing selector switch as a kill switch and replace the extra knob with a pickup selector toggle. I rarely switch to the neck pickup, anyway, so this would put the kill switch in a more convenient location.

So unless someone can suggest a cool use for that knob, it's going to be swapped with a kill switch or a pickup selector.

Thanks!

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Kill Switch all the way
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Individual tones or volumes could be cool, killswitch idea is cool too. I would move the volume knob because I hate the Jackson location for it but it would leave the hole! With such a busy graphic I bet a blue plug would go un-noticed from afar. Have fun man!
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Oh yeah. Kill switch.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
          Individual tones or volumes could be cool, killswitch idea is cool too. I would move the volume knob because I hate the Jackson location for it but it would leave the hole! With such a busy graphic I bet a blue plug would go un-noticed from afar. Have fun man!
          The only time the volume knob location bugs me is when I drop the bar, which is very rarely.

You're right, though. A small blue plug probably wouldn't be noticed.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Kill switch.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Kill switch or EMG PA-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                Kill switch or EMG PA-2.
                +1

Comment

Working...
                X