Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice on rear mounted Floyd nut on a Jackson neck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice on rear mounted Floyd nut on a Jackson neck...

Any machine shop can chamfer those holes for you and probably won't charge you a dime to do it.
    Try Hotrod shops, too.
    All it needs is a hardned bit and a drill press.

Re: I need some advice on rear mounted Floyd nut on a Jackson neck...

agreed....good rule of thumb is to always mod the part before modding the guitar.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd call that a great rule of thumb bro [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ...Sully,the voice of reason!! :notworthy:Chucksplatter

Comment

I countersunk my screws on a Floyd nut that was threaded only, with a drill press. Worked great.

Comment

Well.. the general consensus is to mod the nut!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll see if I can find a hardened steel bit and try again.. I didn't really want to do anything to the neck, as it would be hard to replace it..

Thanks guys for the input...

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I need some advice on rear mounted Floyd nut on a Jackson neck...

Alright, I'm needing a little help and advice on how I'm gonna mount my OFR Floyd nut onto my USA Jackson neck on the project that I'm building..

My problem is that the Jackson neck is top mount only, but the only Floyd nut I have in R3 is rear mount only.. So my dillema is this, I've tried to countersink the rear mount only nut to accept the top mount screws, but the metal it's made out of just laughs gives the ol' [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] (don't even try that shiznit on me) to the drill bits I've been using..

Now I know that Jackson/Charvel necks (at least the old USA Charvel pointy necks...) were prone to cracking in the area around the screw holes with a rear mount OFR nut due to lack of wood strengh in that area. My quesion is, should I just suck it up and try to:

(A) Try to find a bit that will kick this locking nuts ass... (don't know where or how much it will cost though..)
            (B) Bite the bullet and buy a new OFR locking nut with the top/bottom mount capability.. (expensive!!)
            (C) Drill the holes and go with a bottom mount setup...(and hope that it doesn't crack in the future..)

These are my options at the moment.. and any help or opinions pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated..

TIA..

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan:
              (A) Try to find a bit that will kick this locking nuts ass... (don't know where or how much it will cost though..)
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tungsten carbide drill bit will do the job. Not as expensive as a new nut, and can be found at any marine supply store. They're used for drilling stainless steel, so will handle the job just fine.

Drill slowly, and for a few seconds at a time, letting the bit cool down between each use.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
              X