jackson pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson pickup

i was just wondering is there any J50B jackson pickup?

Yes... They seem to go for very cheap on eBay.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

They make a trem spaced version and a reg version
      The Older J-50n&b are reg spaced and are made in USA.Very PAF ish in tone.Most of the older ones are covered /raised logo.They made these in the 90s too(not marked made in USA) still covered but silked screened logo.I have had open trem spaced versions with silked logos.
      The older ones are 8.5k(approx) the 90s are 9.75k(approx)
      Great pickups with a maple body.A great pickup in the neck paired with a J-90C in the bridge.
      Last edited by straycat; 02-04-2007, 07:17 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

jackson pickups indeed have values all over the place.
        this is mainly due to the fact that most guys dont like them or have no idea when/where the pickups were built and how to distinguish a usa made pickup from a jap one that still carries the usa logo.

yes ,there are fairly inexpensive [$20-30 for an import] jackson pickups on ebay,but there are some variables that determine values.
        that is not to say one cant/wont get a smoking deal on true dimas era jackson pickup.
        on the contrary, one is actually more likely to get a deal on one for the very reasons stated above....

a covered usa made J50B usually does not bring what a NON covered usa J50B brings.

a jap made covered J50B normally doesnt bring what a usa covered J50B brings, BUT many dont know how to tell the difference between the 2-3 variants unless you yank the cover to search for polepiece plating & bobbin cover sheen, whether or not both coils have flat polepieces or mixed etc.
        actually measure the resistance of the pickup or actually destroy the pickup counting the windings..

the import pickups in all models tend to run a bit hotter and brighter,
        especially the J90c's .

though the formulas remained basically the same for the import pickups,metric wire and cheap magnets play a key role in the tonal changes , and to compensate for the smaller diameter wire more windings were added in hopes of keeping them tonally correct to their usa counterparts...
        I've had some great sounding import versions , but most sound like crap and chances are if you didnt like the usa versions, you wont like the import version any better.

model designated or "paper" model number stickers are indicitive of import pickups.... some imports through mid to late '87 may yet carry the made in usa sticker on the bottom of the case, but they are old stock cases that were being used up on import built pickups.
        I have seen jackson stamped pickups with silver foil part number which is extremely odd, but in general all will have the white [some even blue]paper sticker with number or model disignation...

when jackson ceased usa production of its pickups they basically boxed everything they had and sent it overseas, this is why these variants exist.

All jackson pickups stamped jackson into the metal pickups are imports, yet they were used in usa built guitars.
        I have even seen stamped cases that were taken apart and custom rewound
        in the custom shop... usually prototypes or for a celeb guitar.

within about 6 months after the orignal jackson buy out , pickup production shifted overseas...
        so in mid '86 its not unusual to see early examples of usa jackson pickups with the oversized cover.

this info was given me by tim wilson on a friday night phone call back in the mid 90s.
        over the years I talked at length with tim and others about these pickups..
        I really do like them and find them to be vastly under rated.

jackson pickup values are all over the place.. I still buy jackson pickups on occasion..love some & hate some..

in general those that know dont let them go cheap and dimas era NOS or even used boxed in the original clear box with silver vacuum plated chrome jackson logo can be pricey.
        still.... in the end value is determined on by who wants it , and how bad they want/need it...

Comment

Originally posted by asraf View Post
          Yes there is a J50B. A vintage style bridge position pick-up used on early American models.

Comment

Holy thread ressurection Batman!!
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by asraf View Post
              I got one...

sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

That's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  Holy thread ressurection Batman!!
                  Jacksonman to the rescue!!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

is the j50b a passive pickup?

I am asking because I have the original singles in my Fusion Pro and if the Humbucker is active what kind of pots would the guitar originally have?

What were the original specs for a Fusion Pro 1 Volume 1 Tone Boost Switch?
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

it's passive. All Jackson pickups are. Some sound better with the active preamp they came with though.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                      X