HELP! Wire Extensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Wire Extensions.

I need to extend the wires on my Seymour Duncan JB so I have enough to solder with. How does one go about this?

Solder new wires on the existing wires.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd follow the directions for butt soldering on this page:

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Solder new wires on the existing wires.
        How much solder? I tend to under solder things.

Comment

I'd use heat-shrink tubing rather than tape

Comment

Most of the time, you need less solder than you think. What you do NOT want to get, are blobs/drops of solder on the wires...that would be way too much.

When I make wire extensions, I first prepare the wire ends, tinning them with a little bit of solder. That makes it much easier to make the final solder connection.

Before you solder the wires together, slide some heat-shrink tubing onto one of the wires for later use (don't shrink it yet).

When you do solder the wires, it's usually a good idea to use some clamps to keep the wires together. That keeps your hands free to handle the iron and the solder. You can also use a bit of tape for this.

After you've made a nice soldering, let it cool down. Then slide the heat-shrink tubing over it, and place the tip of the soldering iron under it (do NOT let it touch), to let the tubing form an insulating shell around the connection.

And...practice makes perfect.
            Good luck bro!

Comment

Thanks for the help all!

Comment

Here's a tool I use all the time:

About $5.95 at RadioSh*t

*Sorry it's called "helping hands"

Son Of Spy
                Last edited by sonofspy; 02-03-2007, 01:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
                1976 Gibson Mk53
                1988 Charvel Model 3
                1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Working...
                X