Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowerTube's *official* SL2H Setup Thread! (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerTube's *official* SL2H Setup Thread! (pics)

Beware of cheap imitations!

So I brought the SL2H home today and did my setup tonight and thought I would share with everyone. I won't bore you again with the story of how I came to get it. You're welcome. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos, as my camera sucks.

Anyway....

First things first. I opened the control cavity and replaced the 9-volt battery in the Whateverthehellitis(r). If anyone recognizes this circuitry, please let me off the hook and tell me what it is. All I know is that the additional knob on the guitar increases the bass when turned up.

Next step. I removed the Floyd, but left the strings attached. Why, you ask? Because I always use the old strings for setting action and intonation.

Next came the fret polishing. The frets weren't grungy by any means, but I always go for minimum fret resistance, especially with jumbos. Here's the fretboard, taped and ready.

Once the frets were polished, I treated the fretboard with...brace yourselves....lemon oil.

NOTE: I had to enhance and brighten these pictures for clarity. No, the board isn't rosewood.

The next couple of steps aren't pictured, but I set the action nice and low. The intonation is actually good enough, or at least for now. I may decide to tweak the B string at a later date.

The final verdict? Awesome! The neck plays like butter and, surprisingly, even open chords have great clarity with heavy distortion. I honestly didn't expect that. If I had known then what I know now, I would have brought her home three weeks ago.

Here she is, all set up and standing against the coat closet wall.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Very nice job you did there! I never knew SL2H's had a 9 volt battery in there. Active electonics? Aftermarket, or do they come stock that way? Line boost? The pickups look passive to me.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Looks like an aftermarket addition to me.
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        If anyone recognizes this circuitry, please let me off the hook and tell me what it is. All I know is that the additional knob on the guitar increases the bass when turned up.
        That is an EMG-SPC, "Strat Presence Control".

Off emginc.com:
        The SPC or "Strat Presence Control" is often called the fat control. The original intent of the SPC was to turn the tone of a single-coil pickup into a dual-coil. This is accomplished by boosting the gain in a broad mid-band fashion and reducing the highs. The result is a fatter, louder tone from any single coil pickup, but you can also use it on a humbucking to give you a high output, really fat tone that's great for slide guitar.

Comment

Good looking guitar!

I would put some masking tape over pickups when using steel wool. I always put on new strings to adjust the intonation.

Comment

Sunbane, Thanks Cool, or at least it sounds like it would be cool!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Looks great! Suggestion: from everything I've read regarding doing setups, you ought to use new strings when setting action and intonation.
              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Thanks, Sunbane! Yeah, it's nice to know what that is because I knew it wasn't stock and neither was the extra knob. It definitely gives a noticeable bass boost. I was messing with it last night and found that it's quite good for the "We Will Rock You" solo.

You guys are right about using new strings for setup, but I figured that since the old ones were coming off anyway.... Plus, the old ones felt like probably 10's and I always string with 9's, so that could throw the intonation off somewhat.

Kisonen, I usually cover them totally but since I went so gentle this time, there wasn't much danger of getting particles on the magnets.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

fyi...When I polished my frets the other day, I used 'post-it notes' rather than tape.

joe....
                  www.godwentpunk.com
                  www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
                  X