Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT580LP...weird ringing, no sustain on ONE string!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580LP...weird ringing, no sustain on ONE string!

yea...so on my RR3, the trem stays in tune, and works like a charm EXCEPT on one string (the G string...which in my case is actually tuned to D!) on this string, an open note has a weird metallic ringing sound (not hitting the frets, already checked that...) and it dies out really quickly. when fretted notes sound like they are not intonated (when it is perfectly intonated) and have a clunky sound, and no sustain. none of my other strings react like this, and my buddy (who has an older jt500/590 mutt trem) doesnt have this problem. same gauge string (18 plain) and were tuned to B standard (so this string is actually a D).

im thinking it may be a problem with the saddle, as the string sounds clunky and out of tune (and fretting it rules out the nut, correct?) the nut is the correct height (already checked that). so what should be my next course of action? i was thinking of replacing it with either another 580 (regular 580, i like the one on my Dinky...) or with an OFR. i dont know if i can get just the saddle (there are parts online, but i dont know if they would work! LOL)

so...ideas? comments? i love the trem and guitar except for this one isse, which i find ways to work around, but i hate working around stuff...id rather be able to use that string for stuff!

thanks for any help guys
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Sounds like the saddl may be cracked or the string is not seated properly.
    -Rick

Comment

If you haven't already, start by changing the string in question.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Could be a cracked saddle, like Rick suggests. Could also be that that saddle isn't properly seated, and vibrates somehow. Or maybe that there is a burr in the string slot, messing with the string. I have a similar problem with the locking nut on my Model 6. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Comment

well, the strings are brand new, and it has done this with all the previous strings (i just thought it was a by-product of such a low tuning, but with my buddy not having the problem with the same gauge string and tuning, thats ruled out).

ok, well ill check the saddle for any burrs, seating problems, etc. ill post back if i find anything! thanks!
          Available Now!
          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

well, i just tried to wiggle the saddle...and compared to the others it is REALLY loose. the intonation screw is tight, but the saddle is wiggling at the joint (where it pivots to change tune).

i guess ill delve a little deeper and see what i might find!
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

so heres the scoop guys...the saddle has no cracks (internal, external...nada!), string block/screw are good. the problem? the saddle has too much play in the pivot joint. it just wobbles like there is no tomorrow, while all the other saddles are pretty solid. i even took the saddle off the trem to make sure!

so where can i get a new one that will work on the 580LP?
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Stew Mac.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i checked Stew Mac, they dont have the Low Pro saddles, at least on the site or in the catalog (checked both).
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/ have them. I think you would need something like this, no?

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...-Tremolo-Parts

Comment

yea, thats one of the ones ive looked at...just wasnt sure if it would work, but it looks like it will (and has been the best one ive found so far!)

i suppose ill get on to ordering one in day or two. if i dont have to replace the entire trem that makes me happy
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                      X