wood primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood primer

well, i just aboot have "PROJECT PLYWOOD" all sanded down. a few more days and she should be ready for a good couple coats of primer. thing is, i know squat aboot wood primers. so what should i use and where to get it? i also need to know what to put on the back of the neck. it's a bolt-on and it was originally painted. the back of the neck that is. so once again, what to use and where to get it. any help would be greatly appreciated,

Garry [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: wood primer

anybody??????????????????

Garry [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll be more than happy to give you some good solid advice based on my experiences, but not here. There are too many hotshots here that know everything and I don't want to start any more debates. I'm tired of that. Email me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can help you bro. Otherwise, there are plenty of knowledgable folks here that can answer your questions, ya just gotta sort through 'em and figure out who's willing to help and who just wants to argue!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Your best bet would be to use a sanding sealer before the primer to make sure all your grain gets leveled and that you have a good flat surface for paint. You can buy sanding sealer at any home depot type of place.
        Spray on a coat, let dry for about 20 minutes, then hit it again. After it dries later that night or the next morning, scuff it with 220 and then give it one more solid coat. Use a sanding block. Make sure all the shiny spots are removed. Wipe it down with Naptha to remove the dust and your ready for primer and color. If you are really picky like I am, get a sandable primer. Apply 2 good coats and then sand with 320 to get a really smooth base for the color.
        It will save you alot of grief in the end and make your color and clear coats need much less sanding, and believe me, you'd much rather raw sand sealer and primer coats then repeatedly wet sand clear!
        Good luck- looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

Mark is a good guy Garry and he will be able to help you get through it like a pro! Can't wait to see the project! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks Dave! I just bragged on you on another post so we're even right? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He emailed me a few days ago and I think I set him off on the right path.

Oh, and I just love this:
            quote by RSM: "If you are really picky like I am, get a sandable primer"
            [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Well duh, what the hell kind of primer did you think he was going to use dipwad?? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

....hence the reason for my original reply. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

It sounds to me like your the "hotshot that wants to start a debate" that you refer to in your first post. Someone asked for advice and you come in and piss all over someone else trying to help. Besides which i wasn't adressing you.
              If you can help him out, great, but there's no need to be insulting and start name calling at people who aren't even speaking to you.
              To adress your comment. There is a difference between basic color primer and ones specifically named sandable by some companies, otherwise they wouldn't make the distinction , i should have explained that a bit more thoroughly.
              Of course all primer is sandable, but some are made from a base that is better designed for being laid on thick with minimal coats and not clogging you paper as much as most. I prefer this type and recommend it to people doing a first project as it helps to cover inconsistancies in the previous steps of finish sanding.
              Were both trying to help out and i made no mention of you in my reply. There's absolutely no need for insults.

Comment

well scuse me bro, didn't mean to pee in your post toasties or nuthin. damn. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And btw, I'll definitely give you an A+ for vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation! Good damn job bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

Wait, make that an A-. I was re-reading your post and found these corrections:
                  You're
                  Address
                  We're

An A- still isn't bad though! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X