Intonation problem on low "E"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation problem on low "E"

I have a Dinky Reverse (the kind with the offset fret markers) and when I play the low "E" open it goes too sharp. Now, I know it's going to a little bit, but it's just too much. The funny thing is I've had this guitar for 11-12 years and it didn't seem this noticable until recently. I tried two different strings in case one was defective and it did it with both. Could the nut be screwed up? I can't figure it out. When I play an E5 chord at the seventh fret and play the low "E" at the same time, it sounds horrible. By the way, where is a good place to get Floyd replacment parts? I need some bridge saddles for an OFR, a 580LP (which is the trem on this guitar) and a new locking nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
    when I play the low "E" open it goes too sharp.
    How is that an intonation problem if you're playing the open string?
    Sounds like you're hitting the string too hard or you've tuned the string slightly sharp to begin with.
    If you fret the string at the 12th fret and it's too sharp, then your intonation is off and you have to lengthen the string by moving the saddle back, away from the pickups.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
      By the way, where is a good place to get Floyd replacment parts? I need some bridge saddles for an OFR, a 580LP (which is the trem on this guitar) and a new locking nut.
      You can find most of that at www.guitarpartsdepot.com... but...
      What's wrong with the current ones?

Btw, OFR stands for "Original Floyd Rose", and is very different from the JT580LP. OFR saddles would not fit on your trem.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        How is that an intonation problem if you're playing the open string?
        Sounds like you're hitting the string too hard or you've tuned the string slightly sharp to begin with.
        If you fret the string at the 12th fret and it's too sharp, then your intonation is off and you have to lengthen the string by moving the saddle back, away from the pickups.

Sorry, I guess it's not really an intonation problem, I checked it, and it's right on, but I'm not hitting the string any harder than when I play my other guitars and they don't do this. I guess I'll experiment some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          You can find most of that at www.guitarpartsdepot.com... but...
          What's wrong with the current ones?

Btw, OFR stands for "Original Floyd Rose", and is very different from the JT580LP. OFR saddles would not fit on your trem.
          I broke a string lock insert block on my OFR, I know the models are different, I just wondered if spare parts for the 580LP were available in case something would ever break. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Jumbo frets will do it as well.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
              Jumbo frets will do it as well.
              jumbo frets make open strings go sharp?

Don't want to state the obvious, Dave, but everything you've described so far just sounds like the low E is tuned a little sharp.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Tune the same way you play. If you hit the strings hard and the open note rings sharp, then you are not hitting the string the same when you're tuning.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Some of these might seem like basic questions, but lets go through them anyway.
                  Are you tuning to pitch, playing some and then it goes sharp? Or is it sharp the first time you play the note after tuning. If you play a little first, are you doing any bends or dive bombs?

If it is going sharp the first time you play the note, then you are hitting the string harder then when you tune. If it goes sharp after playing a little with dive bombs, then the string is hanging up in the nut. If it goes flat after pull ups or bends, it is also hanging in the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    Tune the same way you play. If you hit the strings hard and the open note rings sharp, then you are not hitting the string the same when you're tuning.
                    +1. I am heavyhanded, and I try to tune with a fairly hard attack. I also tune after the first tuner needle reaction (I don't allow it to "settle down"). This means I'm a wee little bit flat on long, sustaining notes - but I'm typically playing rather busy music.

Another thing you may want to investigate in regards to your tuning problem; if the nut is cut and positioned properly. If not, you may encounter problems like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X