Glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue?

Can any of you fine folks offer me up any names/types of adhesive you might have used with success to repair loose binding? Please feel free to include brand names and even instructions, even. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Glue?

Cyano(sp?) Try your best to remove the old glue using an Xacto knife, but be sure not to make things worse. Then glue the piece back in place and wipe away the excess glue. I use my finger, but you gotta be quick, or you'll be stuck to your piece. Also you should have solvent for your glue. When the glue dries, sand away any trace of the glue, or your finger, from the outside. Before you do ANY of this make sure that you KNOW what you are doing. You have to potential to really screw things up if you do this job wrong.

Comment

Just standard superglue. As long as it's a cyanoacrylate it should work fine.

Comment

Agreed with the cyanoacrylate but get the "gel" type. It's easier to manage than the runny stuff.

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Kool! You guys are the absolute coolest. your responses are truly appreciated.

Comment

It depends on the job. If the binding has shrunk a little, I prefer to use Duco cement. It has an acetone base which helps soften the binding as well as melt it into the wood. This is really usefull on body binding where often the binding seperates from a curve and shrinks a little so it it doesn't fit back exactly like it should. It is a little tricky to use on a lacquer finish as the acetone will melt the paint if too much is applied and it oozes out on the finish.

If it is just an end piece that has seperated, superglue is a good choice, but I still tend to prefer Duco cement. Either one will get the job done. The exception I can think of is if the binding material is PVC (most imports have this type). The Duco cement will not work on PVC. In that case you need to use superglue, or plexiglass/wood glue (that is what Stew Mac sells as binging glue).

[ November 05, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Jim knows his sh!t!!
              PVC (polyvinyl chloride)requires a solvent known as methylene chloride to melt it and allow it to bond (flow into) to surrounding surfaces. A lot of bindings are made from ABS plastic (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and work best with "superglue" (cyanoacrylate) as a way of bonding them to other surfaces (such as wood). In either of these cases don't think of the glue as a "binder" but as a "solvent" which allows the two materials to more or less become as one by flowing the plastic into the wood. Damn, I hope this made sense but it's the truth! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks again for the info. The area of separation is at the pointy end of a Kramer American series headstock. So I guess that would lean me more towards the superglue types. I remember someone showing me a glue that used an accelerator agent,I think it had cyano- something in the compound name. Think I'll try that first, as that stuff dried fast with the accelerator. Oh and I wanted to mention YOU GUYS ROCK! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

you dont want to use super glue, duco cement or other type of acrylic cement is what is used on bindings...super glue is just a temporary fix and wont bond with the wood and plastic

Comment

I have to dissagree with that statement Trillian Guitars. Cyanoacrylates WILL bond with wood (and quite well actually!) and it is the best type of adhesive to use with certain types of plastics, especially when bonding them to wood. Don't argue with me about this cause I'll win!!! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                    All in fun bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] (but I am right [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

well, for binding you use cement, you can argue with yourself all you want but the cement actaully bonds with the plastic an becomes part of it.....if you try to use cyano, it will fall off....cyano type glues are great for quick fixes...but they really arent that great at lasting...in my experience they dont bond well with wood....which is why you use wood glue for wood

Comment

You would be correct if all plastics were the same and if all cyanoacrylates were the same...but they're not. Also, Duco cement is a nitro cellulose and will not adhere to some types of plastics as well as cyanoacrylates will. And, there are cyanoacrylates formulated especially for wood bonding. If you'd like to learn more about bonding certain plastics see this article from the ASI (adhesives & sealants industry): bonding plastics

Comment

well, since we are talking about guitar building and what is used then you shouldnt be confused...ABS plastic is what is generally used for binding, but im sure there are other agents used....jim shine explained it well about binding and arcylic cements like duco....read his post before trying prove a point about something that wasnt discussed........with cyano glue, you can typically knock the binding off with little force....cyano glue really isnt used much in guitar buildinig...usually just for touch ups and quick fixes....

[ November 09, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Trillian Guitars ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dude, this topic could go on forever, but it's just GLUE! I'll stick with my opinion and you can have yours, cool? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X