Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please..

Here's the thought-

Mahogany body, Maple neck and Ebony fretboard.

Neck through 7 string loaded with EMG's.

What do you guys think from a technical stantpoint? Any better wood combination I might want to check out?

Re: Opinions please..

Maple neck-thru w/maple board and mahogony wings....and oh yes, ebony fins [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

[ November 03, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

JCF member (and fellow Division guitarist) Matt Crooks has a Rhoads 7 with the 3/4" maple top on mahogany neck and wings with an ebony board & EMGs, and it sounds VERY nice. It has a slightly "rounder" tone than my maple/alder with ebony and Duncans Soloist 7.

Not that mine doesn't sound good - they just sound slightly different.

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I also have a 7 stirng star that's a maple neck, alder body, korina cap combination. It's a little bit brighter and deeper than the Rhoads.

If I was going to order just one 7 string, I think I'd order either a maple neck/mahagony body/ebony board or a mahagony body and neck w/ 3/4" maple top and a ebony board. I like the "warmth" the mahagony adds to the sound, but that's my opinion.

If you can afford to have multiple 7 strings, then a maple boarded one would be cool too.

Both of mine have EMG 707s in them and they sound real good. The SD JB in Mikes 7 stirng sounds equally as good, so that's an option if you want passive pickups... I just prefer the EMG sound.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

What would the tonal differences be between the mahogany body/maple neck/ebony board and mahogany body/neck with maple top and ebony board?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not much if any.

I was also thinking a little bit about Korina b/n with a Pao Ferro board?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Korina is similar to Mahogany in tone. I'm not familiar with the tonal qualaties of Pau Fero.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Pau ferro's kinda like mixing rosewood and ebony, IMO. I've never liked the tone much, myself, but some people love it - Schecter used to make whole guitars out of it.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've never had a 7 string before, so choosing good woods for one is not my area or exptertise...

What would the tonal differences be between the mahogany body/maple neck/ebony board and mahogany body/neck with maple top and ebony board?

I was also thinking a little bit about Korina b/n with a Pao Ferro board?

It will be a King Kelly...

Comment

Haha...I WISH I could afford two!

I'm lucky I'm able to order one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X